Washington County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Washington County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 9, 1825|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Washington County, Florida Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Washington County Courthouse
711 3rd Street
Chipley, FL 32428
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate, land and court records from 1890.
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
Washington County had a Record Loss of unknown causes and extent.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web site may have additional information on Washington County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
Census[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Washington County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Court[edit | edit source]
Immigration[edit | edit source]
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Davis Federal Land Records, Washington County USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida Territorial Land Records USGenWeb Archives Project
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Washington County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
1902 Medical Directory for Chipley USGenWeb Archives Project
Maps[edit | edit source]
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
Military[edit | edit source]
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Florida, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Korean War[edit | edit source]
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
Vietnam War[edit | edit source]
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Washington County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Early Florida Newspapers Florida State Library
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
- Florida State Archives $
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Florida State Archives, or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
Death Records[edit | edit source]
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
Divorce Records[edit | edit source]
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries [edit | edit source]
Vernon Historical Society
PO Box 33
Vernon, FL 32462
Washington County Genealogical Society
205 Wells Ave
Chipley, FL 32428
West Florida Genealogical Society/The West Florida Genealogy Library
5740 N. 9th Avenue
Pensacola, FL 32502
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Washington County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The FLGenWeb Project
- Voters in the First Florida Election 1845 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- USGenWeb Archives Project
- State of Florida
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Washington County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Washington County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Florida . Page 133-137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 143-145.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Florida Page 137 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Washington County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/washington/ accessed 04/27/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Washington County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Florida 04/27/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Chipley, Florida," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Florida, accessed 18 February 2019.