Volunteer at the Family History Library
NOTE: The Family History Library is not currently accepting volunteer applications. Please check back later.
Come volunteer at the Family History Library and help people learn about their ancestors. We are always looking for passionate, enthusiastic skilled volunteers to join our team. The Family History Library offers many volunteer opportunities, including:
- Research Assistant: A research assistant will help people start, continue, or otherwise work on their family history research. A research assistant should be comfortable using FamilySearch (including Family Tree, catalog, wiki, and record collections), Ancestry.com, and should be comfortable working with people and teaching in a one-on-one setting. Research assistants may also be asked to help maintain the Library’s book and film collections.
- Research Specialist: A research specialist will help people strategize how to solve their tough research questions. A research specialist should be very familiar with the records and resources of a specific country or locality and should be able to read associated languages. A research specialist should also be comfortable working with people and be able to teach in a one-on-one setting.
- Discovery Assistant: A discovery assistant will help people explore the Discovery Experience located on the Library’s main floor. A discovery assistant should be familiar using FamilySearch and Family Tree. A discovery assistant should also be comfortable working with a wide variety of individuals and will have opportunities to present to groups including: youth, tourists, church wards and others, using Microsoft PowerPoint, FamilySearch, and more.
- Collections Assistant: A collections assistant will help the Library’s collection team in acquiring and maintaining the Library’s book and microfilm collections. A collections assistant should be comfortable using a wide variety of computer programs.
- Administrative Assistant: An administrative assistant may help with a variety of administrative responsibilities that may include answering phones, ordering supplies, compiling statistics, etc. An administrative assistant should be comfortable with many different computer programs including Microsoft Word and Excel and comfortable dealing with different personalities.
- Technology Assistant: A technology assistant will provide IT support for computers, printers, and other equipment in the library. A technology assistant should be very comfortable using and fixing a wide variety of computers and equipment.
Skilled volunteers must be willing to commit to work a minimum of one set 4-4.5 hour shift a week (see shift options below) for up to 2 years. Volunteers should also prepare each week by engaging in educational activities and family history research. In addition, they may be expected to assist with projects, attend training classes, workshops, and continuing education sessions sponsored by the library. Good health and stamina are essential as volunteers fulfill their assignments often on their feet. Volunteers should show genuine love to people and enjoy teaching patrons of all ages. Volunteers will also be asked to sign and adhere to a code of conduct.
All employees, volunteers, church service missionaries, and full time missionaries are expected to abide by the Family History Library Standards of Conduct. Extensive travel, family, church or other conflicting commitments could make fulfilling this assignment difficult as consistent shift attendance is essential.
If you are interested in becoming a skilled volunteer, please fill out the Contact Information Form.
Shift Options (starting June 2)[edit | edit source]
|Morning||Closed||8:00 am - 12:30 pm||8:00 am - 12:30 pm||8:00 am - 12:30 pm||8:00 am - 12:30 pm||8:00 am - 12:30 pm||8:00 am - 1:00 pm|
|Afternoon||1:00 pm - 5:00 pm||12:30 pm - 5:00 pm||12:30 pm - 5:00 pm||12:30 pm - 5:00 pm||12:30 pm - 5:00 pm||12:30 pm - 5:00 pm||1:00 pm - 5:00 pm|
|Evening||Closed||5:00 pm - 9:00 pm||5:00 pm - 9:00 pm||5:00 pm - 9:00 pm||5:00 pm - 9:00 pm||5:00 pm - 9:00 pm||5:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
If you are a volunteer and ready to start training, check out the Family History Library Volunteer Learning Program wiki page.