Virginia's Martin Battery
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Brief History[edit | edit source]
- Organized in April 1862, with men from North Carolina and Virginia.
- For a time it was attached to the 12th Battalion Virginia Artillery.
- Later the men from North Carolina were transferred to the 13th North Carolina Artillery Battalion.
- This company served at Suffolk, then was assigned to F. G. Boggs', B. F. Eshleman's, and N. A. Sturdivant's Battalion of Artillery.
- Much of the time it was attached to the Department of Richmond and on duty south of the James River.
- The unit had 1 man wounded at Kelly's Store and in February 1864, totaled 48 effectives.
- In March 1865, it was converted to heavy artillery and manned the guns on the outer line below Richmond.
- Captain S. Taylor Martin was in command.