|Vermont Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Vermont Online Historical Newspapers
- Newspaper Archive ($)
- Online Vermont Newspapers
- Vermont Newspapers Online
- World Vital Records Newspaper Archive Collection in Vermont ($)
- Vermont Newspaper Archives (1781 - 2006) ($)
- Vermont Statewide and County Newspapers
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers
- Newspaper Abstracts - Finding Our Ancestors in the News! - Vermont
- Ancestor Hunt Vermont
Newspapers publish marriage, divorce, death, and funeral notices, and obituaries. Notices include names, dates, and places. Marriage and death notices may contain maiden names and names of parents and other living relatives.
Newspapers also publish articles of local interest that often cover religious and social events in the community and include the names of people involved. Some newspapers serve several communities and devote columns to the everyday happenings in the area. Newspapers also include legal notices, estate sales, and advertising for local businesses.
History[edit | edit source]
Some cities in Vermont began publishing newspapers in the 1780s and 1790s. The Vermont Department of Libraries has a large collection of newspapers.
Resources for Vermont Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Many periodicals publish information from newspapers. These are referenced in the “Places” section of the Periodical Source Index (PERSI) described in Vermont Periodicals.
More resources regarding local newspapers for Vermont can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog by using a Place Search under:
- VERMONT- NEWSPAPERS
- VERMONT, [COUNTY], [TOWN]- NEWSPAPERS
Newspaper Directory[edit | edit source]
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Over 900 Vermont newspapers are listed in:
- McShane, Daniel. Vermont Newspaper Project. N.p.: Vermont Newspaper Project, 23 August 1999 [cited 24 August 1999]. This site briefly lists newspaper title, town, life span, and repositories, so that researchers can contact repositories for further details and obtain copies through Inter-library loan.
Digital Issues Online[edit | edit source]
- Chronicling America has some historical issues for the state of Vermont online.
Published Index and Guide[edit | edit source]
- Burlington Free Press / Rutland Herald Index covers issues of these newspapers from 1984 - April/May 2009.
- Historical Records Survey (Vermont). Index to the Burlington Free Press in the Billings Library, University of Vermont. 6 vols. Montpelier, Vermont: Historical Records Survey, 1940–41. This index covers the years 1848–1865 and indexes news items, advertisements, and vital records. Copies of this newspaper are available through the Vermont Department of Libraries and the University of Vermont. (Family History Library book 974.317 B32h; on two Family History Library films beginning with 844896, item3.)
A guide to help locate indexes to newspapers is:
- New England Library Association. Bibliography Committee. A Guide to Newspaper Indexes in New England. Holden, Massachusetts: New England Library Association, 1978. The newspapers are listed by state, town, and then by the name of the newspaper. It includes the dates the indexes cover, the frequency of the newspapers, what type of items in the newspaper are indexed, and the name and address of the library where the indexes are located. (Family History Library book 974 B32n; fiche 6051391.)
Websites[edit | edit source]
- 50states.com. Vermont Newspapers. Has an alphabetical list of newspapers with the towns where located and links to the newspapers' current websites.
- NewsLink. Vermont Newspapers. Arranges the newspapers by type, then by town, then name of the newspaper with a link to the newspaper's current website.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.