Utah Probate Records
|Utah Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Probate Records Utah Division of Archives and Records. This page will also discussion the different probate record types.
- Utah, Wills and Probate Records, 1800-1985, Ancestry ($), index and images, incomplete.
- Utah, Probate Records, 1851-1961
- Utah, State Archives Records, 1848-2001, images/no index
Background Information[edit | edit source]
Probate cases include the proving of wills and the administering of estates for individuals who have died. They also include such matters as guardianship and insanity proceedings.They are a good source for locating relatives, death dates, and property. Families with property are more likely to be found in probate records than poorer families.
Territorial Period[edit | edit source]
Probate records in Utah have been kept by several courts. During the territorial period probate records were kept by both the county probate court and the federal district court.
Statehood Period[edit | edit source]
At statehood in 1896, the probate courts were abolished, and the powers of the federal district courts were transferred to the state district courts. The state district courts have maintained jurisdiction of probate matters since 1896. Probate divisions of the state district courts in each county handle probate matters.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Probate records from the territorial period to the present may be found in either the county clerk's office or the Utah State Archives. You may also find some probate records from the territorial probate courts in the personal journals of early probate judges.
The Family History Library has copies of probate records for many Utah counties.
Probate records are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under the following headings
UTAH, [COUNTY] - PROBATE RECORDS
UTAH, [COUNTY] - GUARDIANSHIP
Probate case files available on FamilySearch.
- 1851-1961 - Utah, Probate Records, 1851-1961 - free, courtesy: FamilySearch. Description. Currently includes Cache, Davis, Juab, Salt Lake, Summit, Utah and Wasatch counties.
- 1848-2001 - Utah, State Archives Records, 1848-2001. free, courtesy: FamilySearch. Description. Includes county probate case files for Carbon, Emery, Piute, Salt Lake, San Juan, and Sevier counties.
FamilySearch Catalog - Probate Case Files
- Beaver County probate case files, 1851-1932
- Box Elder County, probate case files, 1885-1916
- Duchesne County, probate records, ca. 1915-1932
- Garfield County,probate records, 1890-1917
- Grand County, probate records, 1898-1931
- Iron County, probate case files, ca. 1880-1931
- Sanpete County, probate records, 1851-1924
- Tooele County, probate records, 1851-1961
- Uintah County, probate records: case files, 1886-1936
- Washington County, probate records, 1852-1934
- Weber County, Probate files from Second District Court, 1851-1918
Additional records are available on microfilm or in print. For example, the Library has microfilm copies of the following Salt Lake County probate records:
- 1852-1910 - Utah. District Court (Salt Lake County). Probate Records. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1966. FHL Films 425667 (1st of 43 films). These records include an index and records from 1852 to 1910. Includes estates records and guardianship cases.
- 1876-1966 - Utah. District Court. (Salt Lake County). Register of Estates or Abstracts of Probate Filed 1876–1966, Index 1876–1964. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1966. FHL Films 425623–66. Includes guardianships and adoptions.
References[edit | edit source]
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.