Utah, County Birth and Death Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Utah, County Birth and Death Records,1892-1951
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Utah|
|Location of Utah|
|Record Type||Vital Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains an index to county birth and deaths registers acquired from county courthouses. Records for individual cities or towns include Cedar City and Park City. This collection does not include Salt Lake County. Most of the records go up to 1921. Some death records from Wayne County go to 1951.
Counties not included in this collection at this time (20 July 2020) are:
- Salt Lake
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Copy the citation below, in case you need to find this record again later
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other church and vital records such as birth, baptism, and death records
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses. Witnesses were usually family members
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
- Church Records were kept years before counties began keeping records. They are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Utah.
- Utah Guided Research
- Utah Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1905 | 1900-Present
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Utah Births and Christenings, 1892-1941
- Utah, Birth Certificates, 1903-1914
- Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1964
- Utah Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.