User:NelsonKC/Sandbox/New York, Western District Naturalization Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1896-1908 (45 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Naturalization Records|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains naturalization records that were filed in the United States District Court for the Western District of New York from 1903-1991. Records contain such information as name, date of naturalization/petition/declaration, birth date and age, former nationality, port and date of arrival, names of witnesses, etc. Images originally housed at The National Archives and Records Administration New York Regional Facility.
National Archives Catalog[edit | edit source]
- Certificate of Naturalization Receipt Stubs, 1903 - 8/27/1993 U.S. District for the South District
- Index to Petitions for Naturalization, 1824 - 1991U.S. District Court for the Southern District
- Petitions for Naturalization, 1903 - 1991.U.S. District Court for the Western District
- Lists of Granted, Continued, and Denied Naturalization Petitions, 10/4/1928 - 9/3/1992U.S. District Court for the Western District
- Declarations of Intention for Citizenship, 10/1/1906 - 4/29/1963.U.S. District for the Western District
- Certificate of Naturalization Receipt Stubs, 1907 - 1926U.S. District Court for the Western District Court
- Petitions for Naturalization, 1821 - 1906U.S. District Court for the Northern District Court
- Declarations of Intention for Citizenship, 1865 - 1971.U.S. District for the Eastern District Court
- Index to Correspondence Related to Merchant Seaman Who Were Investigated, 1917 - 1917.Department of the Navy. Third Naval District. Office of Aid for Information.
- List of Naturalization Certificates, 1905 - 1906U.S. Civil Service Commission. District 2 Filed Service
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The records may contain such information as:
- Date of naturalization/petition/declaration
- Birth date and age
- Former nationality
- Port and date of arrival
- Names of witnesses
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]You will be able to search this collection when it is published.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Be sure to check the image for additional information
- Analyze the entry to see if it provides additional clues to find other records of the person or their family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in New York.
- New York Guided Research
- New York Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- New York Genealogy
- New York Naturalization and Citizenship
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- New York, naturalization records Southern District. Circuit Court.
- New York, New York declarations of intention for citizenship, 1929-1942 Eastern District. District Court.
- New York, Petitions for naturalization filed at Fort Hamilton during WWI, 1918-1920
- New York, Northern District, Petitions for naturalization and index, 1821-1906
- New York, Southern District, List of naturalization certificates, Dockets and case files in naturalization Suites in Equity,1905-1917
- New York, Western District petitions for naturalization and lists of granted, continued or denied petitions, 1903-1991
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.