Guide to Wales ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
|Wales Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Background Information[edit | edit source]
Wales is one of the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom (together with England, Scotland and Northern Ireland) and is located in the western part of Britain. From its original Celtic origins, a distinct Welsh national identity emerged in the centuries after the Roman withdrawal from Britain in the 5th century. The country is bilingual, with both Welsh and English (predominant) being official languages. Birth, Death, Marriage and Military records for Wales are listed with English records.
Why Wales Historic Counties are Used[edit | edit source]
Although all three county structures are listed below, the Wales counties discussed the most in the FamilySearch Research Wiki are the historic pre-1974 counties. The records dated before 1974 are located within the information found in the historic counties. This practice better assists our patrons who are researching their ancestors before the modern time period.
- For further information see England County Boundaries
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Wales Research
Wales Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Wales research.
Wales Clickable Maps[edit | edit source]
Counties[edit | edit source]
Most researchers will be researching with the context of these pre-1974 historic counties. Wales, like many other countries, has seen much reorganization over time and it may be necessary to search in several counties.
See the relevant county pages for further information.
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- FamilySearching Genealogy Research Groups - Online groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index
Research Tutorials[edit | edit source]
- Blessings and Curses of Tracing Welsh Ancestry
- England and Wales Civil Registration
- England and Wales Census Records 1841-1911 Indexes
- British Resources on FamilySearch.org - Parts 1 and 2
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Wales," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales, accessed 23 March 2016.