Ohio Births After 1867[edit | edit source]
Although Ohio became a state in 1803, birth registration was not mandatory statewide until 1908. Some of these records are indexed in the following database:
Before using birth records know:[edit | edit source]
- Name of the individual
- Year/approximate year of the birth
- Place of birth
Search birth records[edit | edit source]
Can't find your ancestor's birth record?[edit | edit source]
If you haven't found your ancestor in the above collections, try these incomplete databases that may contain more documents:
- Ohio, Births and Christenings Index, 1774-1973 at Ancestry.com - ($) Index only
- Ohio, Birth Index, 1908-1964 at Ancestry.com - ($) Index only
- Still can't find the birth? Try other records that give birth information.
Next Steps[edit | edit source]
- If you find the birth in an index, but the birth record image is not online, you can order a copy.
- Compare any new information in the record with what was known before to be sure details are consistent.
- Look for birth/christening information for the siblings.
- Find the marriages of the parents.