U.S. Virgin Islands Census
|U.S. Virgin Islands Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
United States Censuses[edit | edit source]
U.S. Federal population schedules and indexes[edit | edit source]
Online U.S. Virgin Islands census indexes and images[edit | edit source]
|Online U.S. Federal Population Schedules for the U.S. Virgin Islands|
|Free at Some Libraries (usually with a library card)||Pay|
|Heritage Quest||Ancestry FHL ed.||Ancestry Library ed.||Ancestry Home ed.|
|1920||indexes||civilians Link military Link||Link||Link||Link|
|images||civilians Link military Link||civilians Link military Link||civilians Link military Link|
Available on Microfilm[edit | edit source]
1930. For a microfilm of the civilian populations schedules, see U.S. Virgin Islands, 1930 Federal Census: Population Schedules; NARA microfilm publications T626. (FHL film 2342402).</nowiki>
1920. For a Soundex index and population schedules for the U.S. Virgin Islands on microfilm, see U.S. Virgin Islands, 1920 Federal Census: Soundex and Population Schedules.
Danish Censuses[edit | edit source]
- Statens Arkiver, Dansk Data Arkiv, "St. Croix Census Records" in Dansk Demografisk Database [Internet site] at http://www.ddd.dda.dk/soeg_stcroix.html (accessed 20 April 2009). Shows names, sex, age, address, census year, and sometimes relaitonships or occupations for 1850, 1855, 1857, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1901, and 1911.
- Danmark, Rentekammeret (Vestindien), Census records, 1841-1911 (Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed for the Genealogical Society of Utah, [1965?]) [on 71 FHL films starting with 039199] Text in Danish and English. Danish Virgin Islands census schedules for 1841, 1846, 1850, 1855, 1857, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1901, and 1911.
- Gary T. Horlacher, and David W. Knight, The 1688 Census of The Danish West Indies: Portrait of a Colony in Crisis, Local Knowledge Series, vol. 2 (St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands: Little Nordside Press, 1998) [FHL book 972.9722 X2h]. Based on original records by Governor of Danish West Indies.
- U.S. Virgin Islands Census, 1835-1911 (Danish Period) (Ancestry) ($)
Census Substitutes[edit | edit source]
Sources and Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- HeritageQuest has arranged with many subscribing public libraries in the United States to allow users free access on home computers by means of their personal library card numbers. HeritageQuest provides images of all surviving 1790 to 1930 federal censuses, and indexes to many but not all of them.
- Ancestry.com, a subscription site that provides online indexes and images to all surviving federal and many state census records, among other sources. They have three online editions: (1) an FHL edition free only at the Family History Library and a few Family History Centers, (2) a slightly smaller Library edition free only at some public libraries, and (3) a Home edition subscription service for individuals.
- Eastman, Dick. "US Virgin Islands Transfer-Era Documents Have Now Been Digitized," in Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, 25 May 2016, https://blog.eogn.com/2016/05/25/us-virgin-islands-transfer-era-documents-have-now-been-digitized/.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.