Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 22, 1822|
|Address||7856 Main Street|
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Schools
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the French word terre bonne, for good earth. The County has Houma as its seat and the County was created March 22, 1822. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Index to Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Terrebonne Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Terrebonne Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
|Terrebonne Parish Census Data|
- 1830 Terrebonne Parish Census, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1840 Census Index, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850 Terrebonne Parish Census Index (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana, by city (Church Angel)
- Terrebonne Parish Churches and Church Histories (USGenWeb Archives)
Catholic[edit | edit source]
St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma
- 1848-1862 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Baptism Index 1848-1862. Batch C541061 at FamilySearch
- 1862-1875 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Baptism Index 1862-1875. Batch C541062 at FamilySearch
- 1848-1859 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Marriage Index 1848-1859. Batch M541061 at FamilySearch
- 1859-1873 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Marriage Index 1848-1859. Batch M541011 at FamilySearch
- 1876-1885 - St. Francois de Sales Catholic Church, Houma, Marriage Index 1876-1885. Batch M541012 at FamilySearch
Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Montegut
- 1864-1871 - Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Montegut, Marriage Index 1864-1871. Batch M541051 at FamilySearch - free.
Court[edit | edit source]
- Court Records, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Plantations of Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- "Isle Denires," The Last Island of Terrebonne Parish, Historical event and names. (Genealogy Trails)
- Early Landowners along Little Caillou (LAGenWeb)
- Early Settlers Along Bayou Terrebonne Below Houma (LAGenWeb)
- Article Index to the TGS quarterly, Terrebonne Life Lines. This is the quarterly publication of the Terrebonne Genealogical Society. (LAGenWeb Project)
- Terrebonne Life Lines 10 Year Surname Index. This is the quarterly publication of the Terrebonne Genealogical Society. (LAGenWeb)
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- Military Records for Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Military History Online
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 Pensioners List, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- News of the Past from from Genealogy Trails, Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Terrebonne Parish Newspaper Excerpts (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Alphabetical Index to Terrebonne Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Indexes to Obituary Records, Terrebonne Parish. Indexed by date and by surname. (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry — index and images $
- Terrebonne Parish Succession Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Schools[edit | edit source]
- 1976 - In Memory, H.L.Bourgeois Class of 1976, with obituaries. (Genealogy Trails)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- Terrebonne Parish Birth Announcements (USGenWeb Archives)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Terrebonne Parish Engagement Announcements (USGenWeb Archives)
- Terrebonne Parish Wedding Announcements (USGenWeb Archives)
Death[edit | edit source]
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Terrebonne Genealogical Society
PO Box 20295, Sta.2
Houma, LA 70360-0295
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- LAGenWeb, Louisiana State Records
- Terrebonne Parish (LAGenWeb)
- Terrebonne Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Terrebonne Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrebonne_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Terrebonne Carroll Parish, Louisiana p 293 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrebonne_Parish%2C_Louisiana#Communities, accessed 8 January 2020.
- United States Census Bureau. "Terrebonne Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22109.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/c/c2/Igilouisiana.pdf.