Talk:Maine, United States Genealogy
Old Info to move later for Danielle[edit source]
- British fisherman permanently settled Maine before the Pilgrims in 1620
- Maine was part of Massachusetts until the 1820 Missouri Compromise
- Numerous border, county, and name changes affected record keeping
- Maine has the most uneven quality of vital town records of New England
Maine was formed by glaciers in the Ice Age. The state covers 33,387 square miles which ranks it 39th in size among all states. Understanding the lay of the land can help you find records for your ancestors. The Maine Maps article provides more information about the state.
- Maine Genealogy offers databases, transcribed records, and a social network for Maine researchers.
- David Rumsey Map Collection for Maine contains a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.