Tacoma Washington Family History Center
We Are Opening By Appointment Only Beginning April 6, 2021 for 1 hour sessions on Tuesdays and some Wednesdays. No Walk Ins. Schedule an appointment using the app found on Tacoma Family History Center facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/153994266492384[edit | edit source]
It is expected that more hours and days will be added in May.[edit | edit source]
Health Screen, Social Distancing, Mask Wearing, No Food or Liquids Allowed in the Center are expectations for entrance to Center with an appointment made in advance.[edit | edit source]
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
NOTICE: During inclement weather, or other emergencies: Always call the Family History Center (253) 564-1103, to see if we have remained open. If no one answers the phone, we are closed.
LOCATION: 5915 S 12th St, Tacoma, WA
- Family History Center is located in the building at the corner of 12th and Pearl St.
- Family History Center entrance is on the south side of the building facing 12th St. up the short set of stairs, on the right.
- Entrance is marked by a small sign "Family History Center" near the steps.
- Tues 9 am-8:30 pm. Wed 9 am-8:30pm Thurs 9 am -8:30 pm. Sat 10 am-3:00 pm
- Call in case of inclement weather
- Holidays: Closed all Major Holidays: Closed Memorial Day weekend, Independence Day, Labor Day weekend, the first Saturday in April and October, Thanksgiving week (Nov 23-30, re- opening Tuesday, Dec 1, 2020), the last two weeks of December (Dec 20- 31, 2020 and open on our regular schedule following New Years Day, on Tues, January 5, 2021.
- Access our help from home, as well as at the Family History Center, by calling the Center phone number (253) 564-1103 during open hours.
- 11 large touch-screen computers which patrons can use to access Family Search, online databases, and the FHC Portal
- Conference room--table with big screen for group instruction
- Quiet place to do research
- Helpful, skilled staff to help patrons
- Language: English
- Phone: 253-564-1103
- E-mail: WA_Tacoma@familyhistorymail.org
- Co-Directors: Mary and Gaaren Anderson
- Asst Director: Jim Brown
- Individualized help for patrons, to assist with their research and indexing. The center is staffed by volunteer members of local congregations of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as genealogy enthusiasts from the community who are not members of the church. Staff members are not paid for their services. More experienced volunteers may be able to assist patrons with specific research challenges.
- Instruction--Tacoma Family History Center staff can show you how to use the center’s resources. To make your visit most effective, collect and organize the information you already have. Bring as much information as you have about the ancestor you wish to research, including available birth, marriage and death information. TFHC staff can help you use that information to begin creating a family tree using free to you software.
- Group Trainings for youth and other ward organizations in training their people.
- Weekly newsletter, informing staff, ward and stake leaders, and other interested parties of progress and events
- Community Outreach--We coordinate with other community-based organizations, such as genealogical societies.
- No food or drink are to be brought into the Learning Room with the computers or into the Family History Center itself. There is a drinking fountain available in the hallway and we ask that patrons eat before coming in, in your car, or in the room next door. Thank you.
- We are not at this time a Discovery Center. Please bring only children who are old enough to do Family History work. Childcare is not provided.
DATABASES AND SOFTWARE
Family History Center Portal: This Center has access to the FHC Portal page which gives free access in the Center to premium Family History software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. We have 11 computers which access the portal (premium sites). We also have a room with additional counter space for laptop use with charging plugs and access to the Internet.
- 1.1 19th Century British Library Newspapers
- 1.2 Alexander Street Press - American Civil War
- 1.3 American Ancestors
- 1.4 Ancestry - Institution Version
- 1.5 ArkivDigital
- 1.6 FamNet
- 1.7 Find My Past
- 1.8 Fold3 - formerly Footnote
- 1.9 Geneanet
- 1.10 Kinpoint - Premium
- 1.11 MyHeritage - Library Edition
- 1.12 Newspapers.com
- 1.13 Paper Trail
- 1.14 Puzzilla - Premium Services
- Family Search online and many other online genealogical databases