Swanton Abbot, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Swanton Abbot, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Swanton Abbot, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SWANTON-ABBOTT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N.) from Scottow. 
Swanton Abbot St Michael is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
A fourteenth century tower and a fifteenth century church with subsequent restorations.
The modern parish is within the Worsted deanery of the diocese.
The village and civil parish lies 4 miles south of North Walsham, 15 miles south of the north Norfolk seaside town of Cromer and 13.5 miles north by road from the centre of the city of Norwich, Norfolk's administrative centre. For local government purposes the civil parish is within the North Norfolk district.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Swanton Abbot, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Swanton Abbot, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
This parish's registers do not appear at FamilySearch Historical Records as no microfilm for the parish is held
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts (the early Archdeacons transcripts are in Latin):
|Baptisms and burials 1600-1609, 1623-1634, 1665-1812 Marriages 1600-1608, 1623-1634, 1665-1811||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526781 Item 2
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Swanton Abbott on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 283-286. Date accessed: 11 June 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.