Sundridge, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Sundridge, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Sundridge St Mary Kent
|Poor Law Union||Sevenoaks|
|Parish registers: 1562|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
SUNDRIDGE, a parish, in the union of Sevenoaks, hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W division of Kent, 4 miles W by N from Seven-Oaks. <
The church of Sundridge St Mary, Church Road has been designated as a grade B listed building British listed building
Other places of worship include:
- Calvinist Ark, Ide Hill. (1840-1941)
See also Kent Archaeological Society and Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 3 (1797), pp. 126-145. Date accessed: 14 November 2013. at British History Online and Kent Churches website.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Sundridge parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Sundridge Online Parish Records|
|BIVRI||1813-1825, 1833-1839, 1888-1894, 1896-1899, 1903-1904|
|FS PRs||1562-1807||1562-1807; 1814-1900 (banns)||1562-1807|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
A parish workhouse existed at Sundridge. From 1843 Sundridge became the site of the new Sevenoaks Poor Law Union Workhouse.
- See Sevenoaks Poor Law Union, Kent
- England, Kent, Workhouse Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Orpington Family History Centre, Kent is within reach of the Sevenoaks district, located adjacent to Orpington Station.
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 261-271. Date accessed: 08 May 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 November 2013.