Stevenage, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Stevenage, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Hitchin|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Stevenage (St. Nicholas), is a town and a parish in Hitchin district, Hertfordshire. It was once known as Stevenach; and is 4 miles SE of Hitchin. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Stevenage, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stevenage, Hertfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals
[edit | edit source]
Harris, Pat. My Mackerness Family. History of John Makernes and Elizabeth surname unknown, and their descendants who move to Northampton, Finedon, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Stevenage, Huntingdon - Elton, and a branch going to Australia, New South Wales, and a branch going to Barbados and onto USA - Virginia. Surnames also mentioned are Deacon, Abbeline, Sutton, Bayes, Rock, Wilson. Article dates range from 1460-1957, and is found in Footprints (Northamptonshire Family History Society Magazine) vol. 26,no.4,pages 31-34, Family History Library Ref. 942.55 D25fo vol. 26
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Stevenage on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 January 2014.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 December 2013.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.