St. Stephens Indian School (Wyoming)
Location: 128 Mission Road, St. Stephens, WY
Years of Operation: 1884 - Present
St. Stephens Indian School was started by Jesuit priest Father John B. Jutzfrom Buffalo, NY, for Arapaho (Arapahoe) children on the Wind River Indian Reservation. By 1888, 90 children were enrolled at the boarding school.
St. Stephens was one of four boarding schools operating at Wind River at one time. Others were the Fort Washakie Boarding School, Robert's Mission School for girls and the St. Michael's Mission School for Arapaho children.
Boarding of children at the St. Stephens School ended in 1939 and it continued operating as a day school. In 1957, St. Stephens became a high school and in 1975 efforts began to make St. Stephens an Indian controlled school. Today, St. Stephens is a K-12 school.
Other Information and Sources:
- Marquette University Native American Archival Records including information on how to search genealogical records
- Saint Stephens Indian Mission Foundation
- Brief history of the Arapaho