Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Added Parish History
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Sussex]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Sussex Parishes]]
== Parish History ==
CHICHESTER, a '''city '''and '''market-town''', having exclusive jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 62 miles (S. W. by S.) from London. Chichester comprises the parishes of '''All Saints''', or the Pallant or Palatinate, containing 327 inhabitants; St. Andrew, 625; St. Martin, 282; St. Olave, 238; St. Pancras, partly within and partly without the walls, 1065; St. Peter the Great, or the Subdeanery, 5021; St. Peter the Less, 349; and St. Bartholomew Without, 297; with the precinct of the Cathedral Close, 145. These parishes were, by act of parliament in 1753, united for the better maintenance of the poor, under the inspection of guardians. There are also an extra-parochial district called Newton, formerly the Black friars, containing 123 persons; and a small extra-parochial plot beyond the walls, called St. James', and containing 40 inhabitants. There are places of worship in the city for the '''Society of Friends''', '''Huntingtonians''', '''Independents''', '''Wesleyans''', and '''Unitarians'''.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50872#s16 A Topographical Dictionary of England] (1848), pp. 586-593. Date accessed: 20 September 2013</ref> Chichester Cathedral Close is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information.<br>
[http://www.sussex-opc.org/index.php?cy=52&b=index.php&t=parish&k=512&l=102+ Chichester Sussex Online Parish Clerks(OPC)] and [http://www.sussex-opc.org/index.php?cy=52&b=index.php&t=parish&k=246&l=102+ Chichester the Close Sussex (OPC)]<br><br>
5,379

edits

Navigation menu