Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
Text replacement - "UTChurchChurchofJesusChristHistoryOther" to "UTChurchofJesusChristHistoryOther"
{{breadcrumb| link1=[[Utah Church Records|Utah]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] link2=[[Washington Iron County, Utah#Churches_and_Religious_Groups|Washington all of Iron County Church Records]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png| link3=| link4=|go to]] link5='''Parowan Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches''' }}
This page includes the boundaries {{breadcrumb| link1=[[Utah Genealogy|Utah]]| link2=[[Washington County, Utah#Churches_and_Religious_Groups|Part of wards and branches as of about 1930, a timeline history, Washington County]] | link3=| link4=| link5='''Parowan Stake Wards and how to obtain the records. Branches'''}}
'''Source used for this page:''' {{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p.642-643.{{UTChurchLDSJensonsEnd}}
=== Parowan StakeThis page includes the boundaries of wards and branches around 1930's, 1930 ===a timeline history, and how to obtain the records.
'''Stake boundaries''' as of about 1930 <br>See [httpSource for this page://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 59.<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBegUTChurchJensonsBeg}} {{UTChurchJensonsEnd}} p. 642-643.</ref><br>
=== Parowan Stake === '''Stake boundaries''' as of about 1930 <br> See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 641-643.<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 641-643.</ref><br>  *Area of the County: Iron County and and small part of Washington CountyCo., Utah
*Headquarters in: Cedar City, Utah
*Boundaries of stake:<br>
Consists Located in the south end of Little Salt Lake Valley, 19 miles northeast of Cedar City, 35 miles southeast of Beaver, and 270 miles by nearest road southeast of Salt Lake City.  Parowan Stake consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in Iron County, and a small part of Washington County, Utah. Most of the saints constituting the Parowan Stake reside in the east part of the country adjacent to the Wasatch Mountains. From this range a number of creeks issue forth, which are used for irrigation purposes by the inhabitants in the different settlements. An important part of the stake is the so-called Little Salt Lake Valley, with its salt lake, which is well known to the people of southern Utah.
'''History Timeline up to about 1930'''
{{UTChurchofJesusChristBlurb}}
<br>'''History Timeline up to about 1930'''*1851 - The first settlers arrived on the present site of ParowanJan. 13, the first settlement in Iron County, 1851. *1869 - 1869 Parowan was founded in Januarydivided into two wards, 1851the Parowan 1st and the Parowan 2nd wards.*1877 - Organization Temporary stakes of Zion were organized both in Parowan and Cedar City, but the more permanent organization of a permanent stake of Zion in did not take place until July, 1877.*1878 - On March 24, 1878, the Parowan Stake of Zion was more fully organized on March 24. *1885 - Parowan 1st and the Parowan 2nd wards existed side by side until June 20, 1885, when they were amalgamated into one ward, 1878which was given the old name of Parowan.*1919 - Headquarters From the beginning Parowan was the headquarters of the stake, until 1919, when the headquarters were moved from Parowan Stake to Cedar City, where they now (1930) are, though stake conferences are held alternately in Cedar City and Parowan. *1926 - March 14, 1926, the Parowan Ward was divided into two wards, namely, the Parowan East and the Parowan West wards. *1930 - Headquarters were moved from Parowan to Cedar City, where it is presently now (1930) located.
<br>{{UTChurchLDSBlurbUTChurchofJesusChristHistoryOther}}
<br>{{Template:UTChurchLDSHistoryOther}} ==== Obtain the Records ====
*List of {{FHL|Saints. Parowan Stake|corporate|disp=Parowan Stake}} church and other records at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]].
*For additional resources, see [[Archives and Libraries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
=== Obtain the Records Wards and Branches ===
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBeg}}Cedar 1st, Cedar 2nd, Cedar 3rd, Enoch, Harmony, Kanarra, Newcastle, Paragonah, Parowan+Stake church and other records] for East, Parowan Stake, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resourcesWest, see [[LDS Archives Pinto and Libraries#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]]Summit.<br>
=== = Cedar City Wards and Branches ====
AmalgaSee [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], Clarkston, Cornish, Coveville, Lewiston 1st, Lewiston 2nd, Lewiston 3rd, Smithfield 1st, Smithfield 2nd, Smithfield 3rd and Trentonp 641-643.<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 641-643. </ref><br>
'''Boundaries: ''' <br>
==== Amalga *Cedar City 1st Ward ====, Parowan Stake, Iron Co., Utah (originally called Cedar City East Ward) consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the east part of Cedar City, (all east of Main Street).
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu*Cedar City 2nd Ward, Parowan Stake, Iron Co.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 18Utah consists of the Latter-19 day Saints residing in the southwest part of Cedar City, being separated from Cedar City 3rd Ward on the north by Cedar St.<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p. 18-19 and from the Cedar City 1st Ward on the east by Main St.</ref><br>
'''Boundaries:'''<br><br>Amalga *Cedar City 3rd Ward was farming district surrounding a sugar factory belonging to the Amalgamated Sugar Company, which factory stands on Parowan Stake, Iron Co., Utah consists of the right, or west bank Latter-day Saints residing in that part of Bear River, about three miles west Cedar City lying north of Smithfield Center Street and nine miles southwest west of RichmondMain Street.
'''History timeline'''
*1918 1851 - On March 10Cedar City was settled and from these two parent colonies nearly all the other settlements of the saints in Iron County are off-shoots. *1877 - Temporary stakes of Zion were organized both in Parowan and Cedar City, 1918but the more permanent organization of a stake of Zion did not take place until July of 1877. *1919 - The headquarters were moved from Parowan to Cedar City, the saints at Amalgawhere they now (1930) are located, whothough stake conferences are held alternately in Cedar City and Parowan. *1908 - On June 19, prior to this1908, had belonged to Cedar City 1st Ward was organized when the Smithfield 1st Cedar City Ward was disorganized and 2nd two new wardscreated in it's stead, namely, the Cedar City East and Newton and Trenton the Cedar City West wards, were organized. Amalga Ward. This *1927 - The name of the ward was suggested by changed in 1927 from the Amalgamated Sugar Company, whose factory activities were Cedar City West to the main cause Cedar City 2nd Ward. *1930 - The little settlement of the Hamilton Fort belongs to this ward being organized.
'''Obtain the recordsRecords'''
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBegFHL|Saints. Cedar City|corporate|disp=Cedar City Ward}}Amalga+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Amalga Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Librariesof The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
==== Clarkston Enoch Ward ====
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 143643.<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBegUTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 143643.</ref><br>
'''Boundaries:''' <br><br>Clarkston Enoch Ward is situated near the east base of the chain of mountains which separates Cache Valley from Malad Valley. Clarkston is five miles northwest of Newton, 20 miles northwest of LoganParowan Stake, 15 miles west of RichmondIron Co., Utah was the stake headquarters, and 90 miles north village of Salt Lake CityEnoch. It is also five was seven miles west northeast of Trenton, the nearest railroad station on the Oregon Short Line. Clarkston is the center Cedar City and 12 miles southwest of a farming districtParowan.
'''History timeline'''
*1864 - Clarkston is one of the earliest settlements in Cache Valley, dating back to 1864, when a townsite called Clarkston was surveyed and dedicated. *1864 - The saints were first organized into a branch. *1867 - Fall of 1876 the branch (which started in 1864) then became a ward.None given
'''Obtain the recordsRecords'''
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBegFHL|Saints. Enoch|corporate|disp=Enoch Ward}}Clarkston+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Clarkston Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Librariesof The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
==== Cornish Harmony Ward ====
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 159316-317 .<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBegUTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 159316-317 .</ref><br>
'''Boundaries:''' <br><br>Cornish Harmony Ward , Parowan Stake, Washington Co., Utah consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the town of Harmony, which is pleasantly situated on the north side of Ash Creek, on a farming district lying immediately fine level tract of country which slopes gently towards the south and Ash Creek, while the northeast extremity of the Pine Valley Mountains rise majestically southwest of the boundary line between Utah and Idahosettlement about a mile distant. The center of the ward is town lies in a small village large cove, there being mountains on the Oregon Short Line Railroad south and is locatednorth, 12 and only six miles by wagon road northwest west of Richmondthe main Wasatch Range. The farming land around Harmony is plentiful, but water for irrigation purposes scarce. The place is healthy and produces good grain and all kinds of fruits of the stake headquartershardier sorts. Harmony is ten miles southwest of Kanarra, and 21 miles by wagon nearest road northwest southwest of LoganCedar City, and 42 miles northeast of St. George.
'''History timeline'''
*1907 1852 - The Cornish Fort built on Ash Creek called Harmony in December. *1853 - Settlement temporarily abandoned because of Indian difficulties. *1854 - Fort Harmony was built when settlers returned.It served as a branch. *1862 - Fort Harmony was washed away. *1864 - Harmony Branch was led by a presiding Elder. *1867 - Harmony Branch was detached from Cedar City Ward and was organized July 28, 1907, from the north part of Trenton Wardas a separate ward called Harmony on August 20.
'''Obtain the records'''
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBegFHL|Saints. New Harmony|corporate|disp=(New) Harmony Ward}}Cornish+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Cornish Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Librariesof The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
<br>==== Kanarra Ward ====
==== Coveville Ward ====See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 642.<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p.642.</ref><br>
See [http'''Boundaries://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 162-63.<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p. 162-63.</ref><br>
'''Boundaries:''' <br><br>Coveville The Kanarra Ward district lies between Richmond, UtahParowan Stake, and FranklinIron Co., Idaho, its northern boundary being the line between Utah and Idaho. Eastward is situated on the ward extends to the mountains, south to Richmond, and west to Cub River. The center rim of the ward, where basin at the meeting house stands, is about three miles northeast mouth of RichmondKanarra Creek Canyon, four miles south of Franklinsurrounded by some good farming land, three miles south of the state line and 16 miles north of Loganwhich is irrigated from Kanarra Creek.
'''History timeline'''
*1871 1861 - Area Kanarra was first settled by Robert Gregory in the spring of 1861 and familyothers who moved up from Fort Harmony and located on Kanarra Creek, about a mile northeast of the present location of the village. Soon afterwards other settlers moved in from Toquerville. *1877 1862 - Organized as a branchFrom its beginning the settlement belonged to Cedar City Ward. '''Obtain the Records'''  *List of {{FHL|Saints. Kanarra|corporate|disp=Kanarra Ward}} church and other records at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *1882 For additional resources, see [[Archives and Libraries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- Organized as a ward on November 28, 1882day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]]==== New Castle Ward ====
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...'Obtain '], p.641 .<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 641 .</ref><br>  '''Boundaries:'''  Newcastle Ward, Parowan Stake, Iron Co., Utah consists of the recordsLatter-day Saints residing on the edge of the Escalante Desert at the mouth of Pinto Canyon, 12 miles below old Pinto, 25 miles west of Cedar City, and 20 miles southeast of Modena, the nearest railroad station on the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. Newcastle is an outgrowth of Pinto.  '''History timeline'''
*List 1897 - 1898 Some of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBeg}}Coveville+Ward church and other records] for Coveville Wardthe residents of Pinto, Utah at which is located on Pinto Creek up in the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]mountains southward. *For additional resources1907 - December, see [[LDS Archives and Libraries#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]]1907 settlement was founded.
==== Lewiston Wards ===='''Obtain the Records'''
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 429-431.<ref>*List of {{UTChurchLDSJensonsBegFHL|Saints. New Castle|corporate|disp=New Castle Ward}} pchurch and other records at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. 429*For additional resources, see [[Archives and Libraries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-431day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].</ref><br>
'''Boundaries:''' <br>==== Paragonah Ward ====
*Lewiston 1st WardSee [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], Benson Stake, Cache Cop.642., Utah, consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the northeast part of Lewiston Precinct<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. The Ward extends northward to the boundary line between Utah and Idaho, east and south to Cub River, and west to Lewiston 2nd and 3rd Wards642.</ref><br>
*Lewiston 2nd Ward, Benson Stake, Cache Co., Utah. All the saints in the Lewiston Precinct belonged to the Lewiston Ward until 1907, when the Lewiston Ward was divided into the Lewiston 1st and the Lewiston 2nd Wards.'''Boundaries:'''
*Lewiston 3rd Paragonah Ward, Benson Parowan Stake, Cache coIron Co., Utah was organized April 17consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the little town of Paragonah, 1909which is located on Red Creek, from parts at the foot of the Lewiston 1st WardWasatch Mountains, 4 1/2 miles northeast of Parowan, 32 miles southeast of Beaver, 38 miles by nearest road west of Panguitch, and 24 miles northeast of Cedar City.
'''History timeline'''
*1873 1851 - Organized An attempt to bring the Lewiston Branchwater from Red Creek to Parowan in 1851 proved a failure, and hence a new settlement was founded on Red Creek in the spring of 1852. *1887 1852 - Lewiston A townsite was organized as a Wardsurveyed on Red Creek named Paragonah, this being the Piede Indian name for warm water. *1907 1853 - Lewiston The settlement was divided into two Wards, namelytemporarily vacated because of Indian troubles in 1853, the Lewiston 1st Ward and the Lewiston 2nd Wardpeople moving to Parowan. *1909 1855 - 1909 Lewiston 3rd Ward Most of the families who had vacated the settlement in 1853 returned. A new fort was created by the division erected at Paragonah, enclosing a parcel of Lewiston 1st Wardland 105 feet square'''Obtain the Records'''
*List of {{FHL|Saints. Paragonah|corporate|disp=Paragonah Ward}} church and other records at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[Archives and Libraries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]]. ==== Parowan Wards ==== See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 '''Obtain the records'Encyclopedic History...'' ], p. 641-643 .<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 641-643 .</ref><br>
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBeg}}Lewiston+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for the Lewiston Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Libraries#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].'''Boundaries:'''<br>
<br>*Parowan East Ward, Parowan Stake, Iron Co., Utah boundaries are at the south limit of Parowan on 1st West St., running thence north to the center of the meeting house block, thence east through the center of said block to Main St., thence north on Main St. to the north limits of Parowan. *Parowan West Ward, Parowan Stake, Iron Co., Utah consists of the west part of the city of Parowan, including a farming district lying west and north of the town.
==== Smithfield Wards ===='''History timeline'''
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...'']*1926 - On March 14, the Parowan Ward was divided into two wards, namely, p. 799-800.<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p. 799-800the Parowan East and the Parowan West wards.</ref><br>
<br> '''Boundaries:Obtain the Records'''<br>
*Smithfield 1st List of {{FHL|Saints. Parowan|corporate|disp=Parowan Ward}} church and other records at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, Benson Stake, consists see [[Archives and Libraries of that part The Church of the city Jesus Christ of Smithfield in Cache County, Utah, lying north of Summit Creek, extending to the mountains on the east, to the Smithfield 3rd Ward on the south, and to the Smithfield 2nd Ward on the westLatter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
*Smithfield 2nd ==== Pinto Ward, Benson Stake, consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the southwest part of the city of Smithfield, or that part of said city lying south of Summit Creek and west of Main St. Southward the ward extends to Hyde Park and westward to Bear River. ====
*Smithfield 3rd See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 656-657.<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 656-657.</ref><br>  '''Boundaries:''' <br><br> Pinto Ward, Benson Parowan Stake, consists Washington Co., Utah consisted of the Latter-day Saints residing in the southeast part village of Pinto and the city smaller village of Smithfield, Cache CoHamblin in the Mountain Meadows., Utah. It The village of Pluto is separated situated in a narrow valley on the north Pinto Creek extending from the Smithfield 1st Ward southeast to northwest and is about 1 1/2 miles wide. Pinto is six miles west of Hamblin, 13 1/2 miles northeast of Pine Valley, 15 miles west of Harmony, 42 miles northeast of St. George by Summit nearest road, 28 miles southwest of Cedar City, and 302 miles southwest of Salt Lake City. Pinto Creek. Eastward it extends to rises in the mountains and Southward to Pine Valley Mountains about six miles southwest of the Hyde Park Ward. The main street Rim of Smithfield separates it from the Smithfield 2nd Ward on the westBasin.
'''History timeline'''
*1926 1856 - The Smithfield 3rd Ward came into existence FebArea of Pinto Creek settled in the fall. 21, 1926, when the Smithfield 2nd Ward *1859 - Pinto was divided, and that part more fully organized as a branch of the city of Smithfield lying south of Summit Creek and east of Main StChurch on July 17. and 1st West St*1867 - Pinto Branch was organized as Pinto Ward on Jully 11.*1916 - Pinto Ward organization was discontinued, and extending to the boundary most of Smithfield Precinct on the south and settlers having moved to the mountains on the east was organized new location known as the Smithfield 3rd WardNewcastle. *1927 1930 - First meeting held in new chapelOnly two families occupied the old townsite of Pinto, July 18one belonging the the Newcastle Ward and the other to the Cedar 1st Ward, 1927both wards being in Iron County.
'''Obtain the records'''
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBegFHL|Saints. Pinto|corporate|disp=Pinto Ward}}Smithfield+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Smithfield Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Librariesof The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
<br>==== Summit Ward ====
==== Trenton Ward ====See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 642.<ref>{{UTChurchJensonsBeg}} p. 642.</ref><br>
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 885.<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p. 885.</ref><br> '''Boundaries:''' <br><br>Trenton Summit Ward, Benson Parowan Stake, Cache Iron Co., Utah, consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in a farming district in Cache Valleythe village of Summit, which is pleasantly located on elevated ground on Summit Creek, Utahseven miles southwest of Parowan and 12 miles northeast of Cedar City. Northward It is also 2 1/2 miles east of the ward extends to so-called Parley’s Pass (through a low range of mountains) and five miles south of the Cornish Ward, east to Bear Riverextreme south end of Little Salt Lake. A bench, which is crossed about four miles south to of the Newton Wardvillage, is considered the dividing point between Little Salt Lake Valley and west to the Clarkston WardCoal Creek Valley.
'''History timeline'''
*1871 1853 - A Branch of It was the Church intention was organized by 1871to create a settlement on Summit Creek in the spring of 1853, could not because of Indian problem. *1901 1859 - Trenton Ward belonged to The settlement of Summit Creek did not take place until the [[Cache Stakespring of 1859. *1860 - In 1860 a post office was established, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches|Cache Stake, Utah]] until 1901, since which it has constituted the saints at Summit were organized as a part branch of the Benson StakeChurch. *1877 - the Summit Branch was organized as a ward July 29, 1877.
'''Obtain the recordsRecords'''
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBegFHL|Saints. Summit|corporate|disp=Summit Ward}}Trenton+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Trenton Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]]. *For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Librariesof The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
=== References ===
{{reflist}}
[[Category:Tracing_LDS_AncestorsRecords of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints]] [[Category:Cache_CountyIron_County,_Utah]] [[Category:LDS_Church_RecordsWashington_County,_Utah]]
Moderator, Reviewer, Bots, Bureaucrats, editor, Interface administrators, pagecreator, Suppressors, Administrators, Widget editors
253,488
edits

Navigation menu