Spain, Province of Barcelona, Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Spain, Province of Barcelona, Municipal Records, 1387-1986
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Flag of Barcelona Province|
|Location of Barcelona, Spain|
|Location of Spain|
|Title in the Language:||España, Provincia de Barcelona, Registros Municipales|
|Archivo Municipal de Barcelona|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search The Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes civil registration records, censuses, military records, and other miscellaneous records microfilmed and digitized at municipal archives in the province of Barcelona, Spain from the years 1387 to 1986.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Spain, Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Spanish. For help reading these records please see the following:
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
If you speak Spanish, the following free online lesson may be helpful to learn how to use the information in these records:
- Registros Civiles y Parroquiales – Spanish
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Spain, Province of Barcelona, Municipal Records, 1387-1986.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
For additional details about these records and help using them see Spain, Municipal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records.
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search The Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select City or Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Spain, Province of Barcelona, Municipal Records, 1387-1986. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing this Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church records Spain, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Next?[edit | edit source]
- Check Spain Emigration and Immigration records to find their ancestral origin
- A boundary change could have occurred and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name. Click here for a list of Spanish name abbreviations
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records.
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Spain.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.