Southeastern District Indian Agency (Oregon)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
Guide to Southeastern District Indian Agency (Oregon) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Southeastern District Agency in Oregon was established in 1854 at The Dalles. At the time of its creation, it was responsible for all of the Indians south of the 44th parallel and east of the Cascade Mountains. In 1856, the agent was transferred to Port Orford Agency and was not replaced.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
References[edit | edit source]
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 17
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.