South Dakota Bible Records
|South Dakota Wiki Topics|
|South Dakota Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- The Family Bible Index (over 300,000 entries)
- The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has an index of over 40,000 digitized family Bible records and each day more records are digitized and added to the Index.
- Index to Early Bible Records provides a free index to over 17,000 online and offline pre-1830 Bible records.
South Dakota Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Bibles were often given to a bride as a wedding gift, and families recorded in them information about immediate family and close relatives. Bible records can include birth, marriage, and death dates; parents’ names; and names of children and their spouses, including maiden names. A person’s age at the time of death may be given. Many families kept Bible records from 1850 to more recent times, although few of these records have survived.
Some have been donated to local libraries or societies. The Daughters of the American Revolution have compiled some South Dakota Bible records. These are on microfilm at the Family History Library (Family History Library film 855209) and indexed in Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States: 45,000 References as Taken from the Microfilm at the Genealogical Society of Utah. Two Volumes. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. (Family History Library book 973 D22kk v.2; fiche 6089184).
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Bible Records Online
- National Genealogical Society: Bible Records
- Ancestor's Hunt: Family Bible Records