South Dakota, School Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
South Dakota, School Records, 1879-1970
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|South Dakota, |
|Flag of South Dakota|
|Location of South Dakota|
|South Dakota Historical Society|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of school records located at the South Dakota State Historical Society in Pierre, for the years 1879 to 1970. The records include:
- Teacher's term reports
- School census
The records are generally arranged by county, year, and school district number. This collection is being published as images become available. The listing of school-aged children is a common practice throughout the United States. The records are usually compiled on a yearly basis. School records helped local governments determine funding needs for individual schools. The information is usually reliable although the ages are sometimes off by a year and legal guardians may be confused with parents.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for South Dakota, School Records, 1879-1970.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records: School Census
- Names of pupils
- Ages of pupils
- Gender of pupils
- Name of town and county
- School District Number
- Beginning and ending dates of grading period
- Beginning and ending dates for school year
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the child
- The approximate age or birth date of the child
- The years the child attended school
- The place where the child attended school
- The names of the child's parents
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the School Districts and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Search for other vital records, such as birth, marriage, and death
- Search for the family in state and federal census records
- Search for land and property records
- Search for probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby school or town as of boundaries could have changed
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of South Dakota.
- South Dakota Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research: 1850-1905 | 1905-Present
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.