|South Carolina Genealogical Society
- Tompkins Memorial Library
- 104 Courthouse Square
- Edgefield, SC 29824-1335
Telephone:</ref> at Tompkins Memorial Library 803-637-4010 Fax: 803-637-2116
Hours and holidays:</ref> Monday - Friday 9 am - 4 pm; Saturday- 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
Map: Google map.
Internet sites and databases:
- South Carolina Genealogical Society Internet site membership, chapters, news, projects, archives, links, research help, county histories, books to purchase.
- South Carolina Genealogical Society Archives Book List by title, publisher, category, author, catalog number, copyright year, and cover type.
The South Carolina Genealogical Society, and the Old Edgefield District Genealogical Society, at the Tompkins Memorial Library have newspapers, old Edgefield County records such as probate wills and deeds, censuses and mortality tables. There is also an extensive collection of family histories, and over 2,000 surname files available to researchers, which contain Bible records, newspaper clippings, letters, lineage charts, and diary excerpts. The collection includes subject files which include church histories, and cemetery surveys. The old Ninety-Six District is emphasized.
If you cannot visit or find a source at the South Carolina Genealogical Society, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia, federal and state census records, county probate records, county land records, family histories, cemeteries, tax records, newspapers, county equity court records, and state death certificates. Also colonial British records.
- South Carolina Historical Society, Charleston, SC, diaries and papers, plantation, business, and church records, maps, plats, genealogies, 30,000 photos, 50,000 books, pamphlets, and serials.
- South Caroliniana Library (Univ. of SC, Columbia) 75,000 books/micrifilms, 1.3 manuscripts, and genealogical research notes collected by L. Andrea, B. L. Garvin, and L. K. Crowder on over 1,400 SC families.
- Edgefield County Clerk of the Court and Register of Deeds online index 1995-present.
- Repositories in surrounding counties: Greenwood, Saluda, Aiken, and McCormick counties in SC, and Columbia, and Richmond counties in GA.
- South Carolina State Museum, Columbia , Revolutionary and Colonial, Antebellum, Civil War, Post Civil War, African American History.
- Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina Archives, Dalco Historical Soc., Charleston, colonial parish records.
- Repositories in other surrounding states: North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee.
- North Carolina Genealogical Society.
- Georgia Genealogical Society.
- Tennessee Genealogical Society.
- National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta) (i.e. Morrow), federal censuses, Ancestry.com, military, pensions, bounty-land, photos, passengers arrival indexes, naturalizations, Native Americans, African Americans, workshops.
- Dallas Public Central Library Texas, 111,700 volumes, 64,500 microfilms, 89,000 microfiche, and over 700 maps, marriage, probate, deed, and tax abstracts in book form, or microfilm of originals for some states, and online databases.