Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1935
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Slovak Republic|
|Record Type:||Church and Synagogue Books|
|Languages:||German, Hebrew, Latin, Hungarian|
|Title in the Language:||Slowakei, Kirchenbücher|
|Odbor Archivnictva (The Archives of the Republic), Slovakia|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains images of christenings, marriages, and burials for the years 1592-1935, and includes records from Roman Catholic, Evangelical Lutheran, and Reformed Church parishes, as well Jewish congregations in Slovakia.
The earliest Slovak church book was created in 1587 (a book of christenings from Košice). A few Catholic registers date from the early and mid 1600s, but most date from the early 1700s. Protestant churches usually did not begin to maintain parish registers until the late 1600s. Many church books from earlier time periods were lost during the Turkish invasions and Slovak rebellions around 1600-1700.
In the mid-twentieth century, many of the church books of Slovakia were nationalized, and the state began to transfer books to one of seven state regional archives (Štátné oblastné arhívy): Prešov, Košice, Bratislava, Levoča, Nitra, Banská Bystrica, and Bytča. It is from these national archives that this collection comes. Many records are still located in local city halls or other institutions; these will be added to the collection as they become available.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in German, Jewish, Latin, Hungary, and Russian. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- German Language and Languages
- Jewish Language and Languages
- Latin Genealogical Word List
- Hungarian Genealogical Word List
- Russian Genealogical Word List
- Old Church Slavonic reading guide
- German Gothic Handwriting Guide
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1935.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books - FamilySearch Historical Records Coverage Table shows the places and time periods covered in the indexed records for this collection. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
Consult the Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books, Place Names Table for more information about places in Slovakia.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate event date
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]View images in this collection by visiting the Collection Browse Page:
- Select Religion
- Select County
- Select Place
- Select Event, Volume, Year range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Copy down all the information from the record
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find the person in census or church records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results
- Search the records of nearby locations
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Slovakia.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.