Salisbury, Addison County, Vermont Genealogy
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Salisbury was chartered on November 3, 1761. It seems that little or no interest was felt by the original grantees in clearing and settling the territory of Salisbury. In 1774, however, a gratuity of 200 acres, in addition to his original share, was offered to any person who would become an actual settler. This had the effect of beginning permanent settlements in the town.  
Historical Data[edit | edit source]
Town Histories[edit | edit source]
- History of Salisbury, Vermont : with a memoir of the author, John Moseley Weeks - view digital version of book online.
- Salisbury--from birth to bicentennial, by Max P Petersen (1976) - find this book in a library.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
The probate district for Salisbury is Addison.
Addison Probate Court
7 Mahady Court
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: (802) 388-2612
City Directories[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Salisbury. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Addison County, website at this link.
- Holman Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
- Salisbury Village Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
- West Salisbury Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
Churches[edit | edit source]
Town Records[edit | edit source]
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1786-1858, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Salisbury Town Clerk's Office. These include Deeds, 1786-1859.
Salisbury Town Clerk
25 Schoolhouse Rd
Phone: (802) 352-4228
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Libraries and Historical Societies[edit | edit source]
Salisbury Free Public Library
918 Maple Street
Salisbury, VT 05769
References[edit | edit source]
- Salisbury VT Town History, http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/salisbury.html#about
- History of the Town of Salisbury, VT http://sites.rootsweb.com/~vermont/AddisonSalisbury.html