Salem Indian School (Oregon)
History[edit | edit source]
A nonreservation boarding school was established at Forest Grove, Oregon, in 1880. It was moved to a site north of Salem, Oregon in 1885 and became known as the Salem School. It was also sometimes called the Chemawa School and the name was officially changed to Chemawa, 1 July 1939. From 1925-1938, this school also had agency duties for the Indians of the Grande Ronde and Siletz Reservations and for nonreservation Indians.
Records[edit | edit source]
Many of the records of Chemawa (formerly Salem) Boarding School are at the Pacific Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle. The records housed there include registers of students, 1880-1920, individual student case files, 1894-1975, graduated student case files, 1900-1975, attendance reports, descriptive statements about students, student health records, teacher and employment cards, and other administrative files.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Salem School, 1907-1936, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Rolls 122-124, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm numbers 1724340-1724342). Reports for some years are missing.
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.