Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Rapides Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rapides Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1805|
|Address||701 Murray Street|
Alexandria, LA 71301
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Schools
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the local river rapids. The County has Alexandria as its seat and the County was created 1807. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Rapides Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
1805--Rapides Parish was created 10 April 1805 as an original parish.
Parish seat: Alexandria 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
1864 The courthouse burned on May 13, destroying many records.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill. Online at: Family History Circle.
- When the Records are Gone. By Arlene Eakle. Online at: Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
- Index to Rapides Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Rapides Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Rapides Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Rapides Parish Family Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Pioneers of Rapides Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Rapides Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
|Rapides Parish Census Data|
- Rapides Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana, by city (Church Angel)
- Rapides Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Court[edit | edit source]
- Index to Rapides Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Rapides Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
War of 1812[edit | edit source]
- Raymond, Charles E, Rapides Parish Pensioners in the War of 1812, (New Orleans: Polyanthos c1977). FHL book 976.369 M2r.
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company D
- - 2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company G
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel, Rapides Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Rapides Parish Newspaper Clippings (USGenWeb Archives)
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry — index and images $
- Rapides Parish Estate Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Schools[edit | edit source]
- Rapides Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
- 1885 - Rapides Parish Delinquent Tax Notices (USGenWeb Archives)
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861-1885 - Rapides Parish Marriage Index 1861-1885. Included in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Rapides Parish Marriages (Linkpendium)
- Index to Rapides Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Louisiana Death Records of Rapides Parish
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Czech Heritage Association
14 Locker Road
Deville, LA 71328-9318
- Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Rapides Parish (LAGenWeb)
- Rapides Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Rapides Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Rapides Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Rapides Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Rapides Parish," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapides_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rapides Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Rapides Parish, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Rapides Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapides_Parish,_Louisiana, accessed 5 January 2020.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/c/c2/Igilouisiana.pdf.