Portugal, Setúbal, Catholic Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Portugal, Setúbal, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1911
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Portugese Republic|
|Location of Setúbal, Portugal|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Paroquiais da Igreja Católica de Setúbal, Portugal|
|District Archive of Setúbal, Portugal|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection of baptisms, marriages, and deaths for Catholic Church parish records from parishes in Setubal covers the period of 1555-1911. Parish priests recorded the baptisms, marriages, deaths, and burials; they administered the baptisms, witnessed the marriages and gave nuptial blessings, and administered the other holy sacraments in the jurisdiction of their assigned parish or parishes. All the original parish records were kept in the parish archive under the custody of the priest. However, a duplicate of these registers was regularly sent to the diocesan archive where the records were centralized and kept at a higher state of preservation. It is unknown whether this collection is from the parish record or from the diocesan transcript. These records have been preserved relatively well. Some of the older registers appear to have some physical damage. Some data may be difficult to read or may have been lost.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Portugal, Setúbal, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1911.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select District
- Select Municipality
- Select Civil Parish
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to go to the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Portugal, Setúbal, Catholic Church Records, 1555-1911. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Compile information for every person who has the same surname as your ancestor; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Portugal’s emigration rate is one of the highest in the world. Check Portugal Emigration and Immigration for more information
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition, local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the records of nearby localities (or military units, counties, parishes, etc.)
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back and see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections and notice the asterisk for recently added or updated records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Portugal.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.