Portugal, Portalegre, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Portugal, Portalegre, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records, 1816-1935
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Portugese Republic|
|Location of Portalegre, Portugal|
|Record Type:||Civil Registration and Miscellaneous|
|Title in the Language:||Portugal, Portalegre, Registro Civil e Outros Registros Vários|
|Portalegre District Archives|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
These miscellaneous records from the years 1816-1935 are housed at the Arquivo Distrital de Portalegre and the Arquivo da Câmara Municipal de Elvas, Portugal. This collection includes civil registration records of birth, legitimization, marriage, and death, passports registers, testaments, and deaths records from the Santa Casa da Misericórdia in Portalegre.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- Portuguese Genealogical Word List
- Portuguese Letter-writing Guide
- Learning Center Resources:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Portugal, Portalegre, Civil Registration and Miscellaneous Records, 1816-1935.|
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select District
- Select Municipality
- Select Record Type and Year Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Compile information for every person who has the same surname as your ancestor; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church records
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent
I Can’t Find The Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings of the names
- Portugal’s emigration rate is one of the highest in the world. Check Portugal Emigration and Immigration for more information
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition, local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the records of nearby localities (or military unties, counties, parishes, etc.)
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back and see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections and notice the asterisk for recently added or updated records.
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Portugal.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.