Oxnead, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Oxnead, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1574|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1623|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
OXNEAD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. E.) from Aylsham. 
Oxnead St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
Oxnead is named for its site on meadows beside a river known to the Britons and Saxons as the Ouse. At the time of the Domesday survey, the estate belonged to Halden and altogether was worth 30 shillings. It was seven furlongs long and six broad and included a church with twenty-four acres of glebe land. At the time of King Stephen, Oxnead belonged to Albert Greslei, from whom it passed to the Hauteyn family. Around 1368, the estate was acquired by Sir Robert de Salle. After Sir Robert’s death, his widow’s second husband, Sir William Clopton, took control of Oxnead and in the 1420s it was sold to William Paston, of Paston.
The church is mostly thirteenth-century and built of flint with stone dressings. However, there are several later additions in brick, dating from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries, such as the top of the tower, two porches and a stepped east gable.
Inside, there is a monument to Sir Clement Paston (1515-1597). This is a tomb-chest featuring his recumbent effigy and a kneeing figure of his wife, Lady Alice. There is also a monument to Lady Katherine Paston, wife of Sir William (1610-1663), who died in childbirth in 1637. This work is by the celebrated Jacobean sculptor Nicholas Stone. The church also includes a seventeenth century font.
Onead is now a lost settlement in Norfolk, England, roughly three miles south-east of Aylsham. It now consists mostly of St Michael’s Church and Oxnead Hall. It was the principal residence of the Paston family from 1597 until the death of William Paston, 2nd Earl of Yarmouth in 1732. Under Sir William Paston (1610-1663), Oxnead was the site of several works by the architect and sculptor, Nicholas Stone, master-mason to Kings James I and Charles I.
The church survives detached and isolated from parishioners in a rural setting
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Aylsham 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Oxnead, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|OXNEAD PARISH (1573) Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1573-1780, 1784-1812||Undefined||1573-1834, 1838-1908||Undefined||1573-1780, 1784-1812|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 161
Parish registers for Oxnead Microfilm copy of original filmed at the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library in Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms, burials, 1574-1780; marriages, 1578-1752. Baptisms, burials, 1784-1812. Marriages, 1756-1811; marriage banns, 1756-1825. Marriages, 1813-1834. Marriages, 1838-1908. Marriage banns, 1828-1889. FHL BRITISH Film 1911576 Items 10 - 15
Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms 1630-1633, 1668, 1720-1812 Marriages 1623, 1721-1811 Burials 1623-1633, 1669-1677, 1720-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526780 Item 12
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals
[edit | edit source]
Curties. E.A. The Curties Family of Norfolk. History and family tree of Robert Curtes and Prudence Gascoyne, with the following surnames, Barker, Boldney, Leman, Creasey, Doughty, Parker, Paul, Titsell, Smith, Topps, Hutton, Lake, Howard, Summere, Sturt, Bailey, Loynes, Mattewson, Rook. There is a descripiton of each of the family and their life, in many Norfolk Parishes. Brampton, Irstead, Oxnead, Aylsham, Sidestand, Scottow, Trimingham, North Walsham, and Swofield. Article dates are 1556-1945, and is found in The Norfok Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt2 page 17-22, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j old series, v2. pt. 2
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Oxnead on GenUKI
- Oxnead St Michael All Angels on A Church Near You
- Oxnead on Literary Norfolk
- British History Online
- Oxnead on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 503-525. Date accessed: 06 May 2013.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 14 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 7 October 2013.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.