Overwharton Parish, Virginia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
History[edit | edit source]
Founded[edit | edit source]
- abt 1702
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
Transcripts of graves at Aquia Church are available at the Church's [https:/aquiachurch.org/about/cemetery/ website].
A survey of the graves at Aquia Church was also published back in 1981.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Parish Records[edit | edit source]
- 1720-1760 - Boogher, William F. Old Stafford County, Virginia: Overwharton Parish Register, 1720 - 1760. Washington, D.C.: Saxton Printing Co., 1899. FHL Collection; digital versions at Internet Archive; VAGenWeb; World Vital Records ($). Contains births, deaths and marriages 1720-1760.
- 1720-1758 - Overwharton Parish Christening Index 1720-1758. Batch C504841 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1720-1758 - Overwharton Parish Marriage Index 1720-1758. Batch M504841 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1720-1758 - O'Brien, Michael J. "Virginia, Stafford County, Overwharton Parish - Extracts from the Registers of the Protestant Episcopal Church of, from 1720 to 1758, Transcribed by Mr. Powhattan Moncure, Custodian of the Records," The Journal of the American Irish Historical Society, Vol. 12 (1913):156-161. FHL Collection; digital version at Google Books (full-view). [O'Brien attempts to identify Irish surnames in this Church of England parish register.]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Aquia Episcopal Church (official site)
- Aquia Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Dumfries Cemetery, The Historical Marker Database
References[edit | edit source]
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Edna May Stevens and Lesba Lewis Thompson, Tombstone Records of Aquia Church, Stafford County, Virginia (Owensboro, Ky., 1981).
- William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 167-177.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.