Ormskirk Poor Law Union, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

History[edit | edit source]

The first town workhouse for Ormskirk was opened in 1732. by 1777 workhouses existed at:
Melling with Cunscough

The Ormskirk Poor Law Union was formed on 31st January 1837.
A new Ormskirk Union workhouse was built in 1851-3 on a site at the south side of the Wigan Road in Ormskirk. It was designed by William Culshaw who was also the architect of much larger workhouses for the Toxteth Park and West Derby Unions.
Ormskirk workhouse later became the Ormskirk and District General Hospital.

Constituent Parishes
[edit | edit source]

Altcar, Lancashire GenealogyAughton, Lancashire GenealogyBickerstaffe, Lancashire Genealogy, Birkdale Birkdale, St John, Lancashire GenealogyBirkdale St James, Lancashire GenealogyBirkdale St Peter, Lancashire Genealogy Bispham Green see Ormskirk, Lancashire GenealogyBurscough Bridge, Lancashire Genealogy, Down Holland see Halsall, Lancashire GenealogyFormby, Lancashire GenealogyHalsall, Lancashire GenealogyHesketh with Becconsall, Lancashire GenealogyLathom St James, Lancashire GenealogyLydiate, Lancashire GenealogyMaghull, Lancashire GenealogyMelling (near Liverpool), Lancashire GenealogyNorth Meols, Lancashire Genealogy, Ormskirk, Lancashire GenealogyRufford, Lancashire GenealogyScarisbrick, Lancashire Genealogy, Simonswood see Kirkby, Lancashire GenealogySkelmersdale, Lancashire GenealogyTarleton, Lancashire Genealogy.
Later Additions: Ainsdale (1894-1925) , Southport (1894-1930) Southport Holy Trinity, Lancashire Genealogy, Southport Christ Church, Lancashire Genealogy

[edit | edit source]

 Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2RE. Holdings include: Guardians' minutes (1837-1930); Workhouse births and deaths register (1828-48).

Register of births and deaths at Ormskirk Workhouse HROR/2/1 19 Apr 1838 - 3 Mar 1848
Various Papers relating to the workhouse in Aughton Street, Ormskirk, for the townships of Lathom, Bickerstaffe, Burscough, Halsall, Downholland, & Lydiale PR445 1732 – 1839
Lists of paupers admitted into Ormskirk workhouse from Downholland parish PR2956/7/1 1894-1895
Articles of agreement between churchwardens and overseers of the poor of parishes around Ormskirk, to set up a workhouse in Moor Street, Ormskirk PR3019/6/5 2 Mar 1734
Articles of agreement (2) for joint upkeep of a workhouse in Aughton Street, Ormskirk, for the use of the towns of Lathom, Burscough, Bickerstaffe, Halsall, Downholland, Lydiate, Scarisbrick, Melling and Maghull PR2956/3/14 21 May 1733
Statements of amounts owed for Bispham poor in Ormskirk Union Workhouse PR2596/10 1889-1894, 1909, 1910
Printed minutes of meeting of inspectors of Moor Street workhouse, Ormskirk. [Lancashire Record Office, AUGHTON Parish] PR3019/8/5 5 Apr. 1821

Websites[edit | edit source]

For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Ormskirk/Ormskirk.shtml