|Oklahoma Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Maps of Oklahoma from MapofUS.org. Includes boundary changes map.
- Newberry Library Atlas of Historical County Boundaries
- Maps 'n' More Includes 1895,1915, 1972 maps, town and township maps and more.
Several types of maps are useful for genealogists. Some give the historical background of the area; others show migration routes such as roads, rivers, and railroads. Topographical maps show physical and manmade features, such as creeks, hills, trails, and roads used as persons came to Oklahoma. Sometimes maps also include cemeteries and churches. Plat and land ownership maps, as well as other types of maps, are described in United States Maps. In the FamilySearch Catalog, atlases are listed in the Place Search. Remember to search each locality as a town, a county and as a state.
One of the best books of maps for Oklahoma is John Wesley Morris, Charles R. Goins, and Edwin C. McReynolds, Historical Atlas of Oklahoma, 3rd ed. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press, 1986. (Family History Library book 976.6 E3m 1986; 1965 edition on film 1000357 item 3.)
United States Census Bureau State and County Map. This map will allow you to zoom in on any state or county in the United States and read the names of all of the neighboring counties.
The Family History Library has several maps, including some of the Indian Territory.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- [http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/oklahoma.html http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/oklahoma.html
- Printable maps are also available from the National Atlas of the United States -- https://nationalmap.gov/small_scale/printable.html
- My Genealogy Hound has free access to historic county maps for some Okahoma Counties. Also includes Indian Nation - Indian Territory maps.
- State map of Oklahoma showing the location of each Oklahoma County is on Hearthstone Legacy.