Oklahoma Bible Records
|Oklahoma Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Oklahoma Genealogical Society, OGS On-Line Records, Bible Records and Cemeteries, index
- Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society Bible Records
- The National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) has an index of over 40,000 digitized family Bible records and each day more records are digitized and added to the Index.
- Index to Early Bible Records provides a free index to over 17,000 online and offline pre-1830 Bible records.
Oklahoma Bible Records[edit | edit source]
A family Bible is a designation given to a Bible which has family information recorded on pages within the book. This has been a tradition among many families and is a good source of information about immediate family members and relatives, including names of parents, children, their spouses as well as their dates of birth, marriage and death. This is a valuable resource because, if the information is recorded as the event occurs, the information is regarded as being reliable. Also, for some families, Bible records may have the only recorded vital statistics information. Generally, family Bibles are passed down to succeeding generations, but those that are no longer in possession of the family may be at a historical or genealogical society.
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection contains some Bible records from Oklahoma. This collection is described in Oklahoma Compiled Genealogies. An index is available on their Internet site, http://www.dar.org/
The collection is partially indexed in E. Kay Kirkham, An Index to Some of the Bibles and Family Records of the United States, vol. 2. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1984. (Family History Library book 973 D22kk v. 2; fiche 6,089,184.) Other Libraries (WorldCat)
Some Bible records have been published in: Bible Records. [N.p.]: Daughters of the American Colonists (Oklahoma), 1977[?]. (Family History Library book 976.6 D2b; film 1,036,369, item 2.) Cook, Mrs. John P. Collection of Oklahoma Bible and Family Records: Assembled by D.A.R. Chapters of Oklahoma, N.p.: 1954. (Family History Library book 976.6 D2c; film 873,998.)
Family History Library Collections[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Library (FHL)has several collections of family Bible records for Illinois including the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and county collections. These records can be found in the FamilySearch Catalog at www.familysearch.org using a Place Search under:
- Oklahoma - BIBLE RECORDS
- Oklahoma,[name of County] - BIBLE RECORDS
Websites[edit | edit source]