Nova Scotia Gazetteers
|Nova Scotia Research Topics|
|Nova Scotia Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places
- Acadianna, Acadia, then and now Peter Gallant Berlo, Acadianna, Acadia, Then and Now, [San Diego, California] : Peter W. Berlo, c1989
- McAlpine's gazetteer of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland McAlpine's gazetteer of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland, Halifax Royal Print & Litho, 1919
- Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America 1873 John Lovell, Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America, Montreal : J. Lovell, 1873
- Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America 1895 John Lovell, : containing the latest and most authentic descriptions of over 8900 cities towns, villages, and places in the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Manitoba, British Columbia, the North-West Territories and Newfoundland; and general information, drawn from official sources, as to names, locality, extent, etc., of over 2980 lakes and rivers, with a table of routes showing the proximity of the railroad stations, and sea, lake, and river ports, to the cities, towns, villages, etc., in the several provinces, Montreal, Lovell, 1895
- The present state of Nova Scotia S. Hollingsworth, The Present State of Nova Scotia : with a brief account of Canada and the British islands on the coast of North America, Edinburgh : Printed for William Creech, Edinburgh and sold by T. Cadell, and G. Robinson & Co., London, 1787
- Handbook for the Colony of Nova Scotia F. Algar, Handbook for the Colony of Nova Scotia, London : Canadian News, 1864
- Census Returns, Assessment and Poll Tax Records 1767-1838
- Nova Scotia Newspapers
- World Gazetteers at Archive.org
Print Only Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Gazetteer of Canada. Nova Scotia Canadian Board on Geographical Names, Gazetteer of Canada. Nova Scotia, Ottawa, Ontario : Canadian Board on Geographical Names, 1961
- Nova Scotia Variant Place Names Dorothy L Cooke, Nova Scotia Variant Place Names, Halifax, Nova Scotia : Dalhousie University School of Library Service, 1986
- Place-Names and Places of Nova Scotia Public Archives of Nova Scotia, Place-Names and Places of Nova Scotia, Belleville, Ontario : Mika Publishing, 1982
Why Use Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
A gazetteer is a dictionary of place-names. Gazetteers list or describe towns and villages, parishes, states, populations, rivers and mountains, and other geographical features. They usually include only the names of places that existed at the time the gazetteer was published. Within a specific geographical area, the place-names are listed in alphabetical order, similar to a dictionary. You can use a gazetteer to locate the places where your family lived and to determine the civil and religious jurisdictions over those places.
There are many places within a country with similar or identical place-names. You will need to use a gazetteer to identify the specific town where your ancestor lived, the state the town was or is in, and the jurisdictions where records about the person was kept.
Gazetteer Contents[edit | edit source]
Gazetteers may also provide additional information about towns, such as:
- Different religious denominations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Major manufacturers, canals, docks, and railroad stations
- The population size.
- Boundaries of civil jurisdiction.
- Ecclesiastical jurisdiction(s)
- Longitude and latitude.
- Distances and direction from other from cities.
- Schools, colleges, and universities.
- Denominations and number of churches.
- Historical and biographical information on some individuals (usually high-ranking or famous individuals)