North Dakota and South Dakota Naturalization Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
North Dakota and South Dakota Naturalization Records, 1851-1883
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|North Dakota and South Dakota, |
|Flag of the United States of America|
|US Flag 1851-1858 (31 stars)|
|National Archives and Records Administration Logo|
|Record Type||Declaration of Intention Records|
|Record Group||RG 21: Records of the District Court of the United States|
|National Archives Identifier||788695|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains declaration of intention records for the U.S. Territorial Court for the Second (Yankton) District of the District of Dakota, 1851-1889.
- Declarations of Intention for Citizenship, 1861 - 1883; 1861-1883; Box 1 DGS 103744380
- Declarations of Intention for Citizenship, 1861 - 1883; 1861-1883; Vol 1 DGS 103744381
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Find church and vital records such as birth and baptism records
- Use the record to see if other family members immigrated with the person you are looking for
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for naturalization records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Search the indexes and records of other port cities
- Look for the Declaration of Intent soon after the immigrant arrived. Then look for the Naturalization Petition five years later, when the residency requirement would have been met. Look for naturalization records in federal courts, then in state, county, or city courts. An individual may have filed the first and final papers in different courts and sometimes in a different state if the person moved. Immigrants who were younger than 18 when they arrived did not need to file a Declaration of Intent as part of the process
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
- Guided Research:
North Dakota Guided Research | South Dakota Guided Research
- Record Finder:
North Dakota | South Dakota
- Research Tips and Strategies:
North Dakota | South Dakota
- North Dakota Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- U.S. Circuit Court. North Dakota Southeastern Division. Declarations of intention, 1890-1924
- U.S. Circuit Court. North Dakota. Northwestern Division. Declarations of intention, 1891-1906
- U.S. Circuit Court. North Dakota. Northeastern Division.Declarations of Intentions,1892-1909
- U.S. Circuit Court. North Dakota. Southwestern Division.Declarations of Intentions, 1892-1917
- U.S. Circuit Court. North Dakota. Western Division. Declarations of Intentions,1906-1916
- U.S. Circuit Court. North Dakota. Southeastern Division. Naturalization Records,1906-1924
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- North Dakota, Naturalization Records, 1868-1924
- North Dakota Manifests of Immigrant Arrivals, 1910-1952
- South Dakota, County Naturalization Records, 1865-1972
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.