North Carolina Periodicals
|North Carolina Wiki Topics|
|North Carolina Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning North Carolina genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Among the periodicals for North Carolina are:
- Bulletin of the Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County 1973–. Published by the Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County, P.O. Box 938, Forest City, NC 28043. Telephone: 704-245-4000. Family History Center book 975.6 D25b; on 66 Family History Library fiche beginning with 6050630.) Old Tryon County took in the western counties of North Carolina.
- Bulletin of the Wilkes Genealogical Society 1972–. Published by the Wilkes Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1629, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28659. Family History Center book 975.682 B2b. From 1967 to 1972, the title was Bulletin of the Original Wilkes County. Wilkes County took in the area of northwestern North Carolina near Virginia and Tennessee.
- The Carolina Genealogist 1969–. Published by Heritage Papers, Danielsville, Georgia 30633. Family History Center book 975 B2cg. The Family History Library has volumes 1–36, 38 and 45–52. This periodical has information about North and South Carolina.
- Journal of North Carolina Genealogy 1955–1972. (Formerly: The North Carolinian.) Published through 1974 by W. P. Johnson, Raleigh, North Carolina. Family History Center book 975.6 B2j. Each issue is indexed. There is also a 50-year index for 1924 to 1973.
- North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal 1975–. Published quarterly by the North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 30815, Raleigh, North Carolina 27622-0815. Family History Center book 975.6 B2s. Each issue is indexed. Consult the North Carolina Genealogical Society website for information about submission for the journal. Books for review are accepted, reviewed and then deposited at the North Carolina State Library.
- The North Carolina Historical Review 1924–. Published by the North Carolina Historical Commission, 109 East Jones Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 17611. Family History Center book 975.6 B2h. A 50-year index for 1924 to 1973 is available at the North Carolina Division of Archives and History Department of Cultural Resources. The North Carolina Historical Review: Fifty- year Index 1924–1973. Family History Center book 975.6 B2h index.
- The Quarterly Review 1974–. Published by the Eastern North Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 395, New Bern, North Carolina 28560. Family History Center book 975.6 B2e. There is an index to volumes 1–4 for 1974 to 1977: FHL book 975.6 B2e index.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. North Carolina periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: North Carolina-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.