Newport Parish, Isle of Wight County, Virginia Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
Newport Parish has served Isle of Wight County, Virginia. It was also known as Old Brick Church. It is located in Smithfield, Virginia. It is currently known as St. Luke's Church.
Founded[edit | edit source]
- bef 1734
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
The graves at St. Luke's Church Cemetery are transcribed and mapped at the church website.
- Barger, Virginia A. Tombstones in St. Luke's Church Cemetery, Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Newport News, Virginia: Mrs. R.V. Barger, 1970. Available at FHL.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
- Thomas, R.S. The Old Brick Church near Smithfield, Virginia: Built in 1632. 1892? FHL Book 975.554 K2s.
- Hayden, E. Virginia. A Sketch of "The Old Brick Church": Isle of Wight County, Virginia. 1925. 1954 reprint available at FHL. [St. Luke's Parish Church]
- Historic St. Luke's Restoration, Smithfield, Virginia. 1953? FHL Film 1440650 Item 17.
Parish Records[edit | edit source]
Parish Registers[edit | edit source]
Entries from Newport Parish Register that survive have been published by Boddie in:
- Boddie, John Bennett. Seventeenth Century Isle of Wight County, Virginia: A History of the County of Isle of Wight, Virginia, During the Seventeenth Century, Including Abstracts of the County Records. Chicago: Chicago Law Print. Co., 1938. Available at FHL [3 copies]; digital versions at FamilySearch Digital Library and Ancestry ($) and .
Marriages in 1785 and 1786 have been published:
- Isle of Wight County, Virginia Records. Births 1716-1755, Marriages 1785-1786 Solemnized by The Reverend William Hubard in Newport Parish. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2007. FHL Book 975.554 V2i.
Vestry Books[edit | edit source]
The original Newport Parish Vestry Book, dated 1724-1772, is kept at the Library of Virginia. FamilySearch has scanned these records and made them available for free online. Microfilm copy: FHL Collection. Abstracts:
- Hopkins, William Lindsay. Suffolk Parish Vestry Book, 1749-1784, Nansemond County, Virginia, and Newport Parish Vestry Book, 1724-1772, Isle of Wight County, Virginia. Richmond, Va.: W.L. Hopkins, 1988. Available at FHL.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Historic St. Luke's Church (official website). Includes history, photographs, and cemetery transcripts.
- St. Luke's Church, The Historical Marker Database
- St. Luke's Church, (another description), The Historical Marker Database
References[edit | edit source]
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 50-54.