Newfoundland and Labrador Civil Registration
|Newfoundland & Labrador Wiki Topics|
|Newfoundland & Labrador Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- Newfoundland's Grand Banks Parish Records for Newfoundland and Labrador Baptisms, Marriages, Burials.
- 1753-1893 - Newfoundland, Vital Statistics, 1753-1893 Index and Images - at FamilySearch
- 1757-1901 - Newfoundland, Canada, Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1757-1901, index and images, ($)
- 1793-1945 - Newfoundland, Church Records, 1793-1945 Images - at FamilySearch
- 1840-1949 - Newfoundland, Vital Records, 1840-1949 Index and Images - at FamilySearch
- 1841-1968 - Search: Acts of Divorce, 1841-1968 Library and Archives Canada
- 1850-1949 - Newfoundland, Canada, Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1850-1949, index and images, ($)
- pre-1891 - Newfoundland Vital Statistics City of St. John's Pre 1891 Registrations from church records
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Newfoundland, including the area of Labrador, became a province of Canada in 1949. Official registration of births, marriages, and deaths began in 1891.
Until 1948, most vital records were copies of church records. Clergy were required to register the baptisms, marriages, and burials they performed with the civil authorities. The collection is not complete as many clergy and churches did not respond to the request of the Department of Public Health and Welfare to transcribe their records. The collection is predominately Protestant as only 6 of the 124 volumes are Roman Catholic. The remainder of the volumes are the records of the Church of England, Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian and Reformed Episcopal Churches. They are digitized and indexed in Newfoundland, Vital Statistics, 1753-1893 and Newfoundland, Canada, Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1757-1901.
By 1948, official death certificates were being prepared by physicians and other medical personnel for the civil authorities.
Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador[edit | edit source]
Records of this civil registration are available on microfilm at the Archives.
- Births - 1891-1899
- Marriages - 1891-1922
- Deaths - 1891-1949
All of these records are available online in the listings above.
The Rooms does not make prints of these records or issue certificates based on the records. Certificates can be obtained from the province’s Vital Statistics Division.
Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador
9 Bonaventure Avenue
P.O. Box 1800, Station C
St. John’s, Newfoundland A1C 5P9
Email: email@example.com<bt>Fax: 709-757-8017
Recent Records[edit | edit source]
Recent vital statistics for Newfoundland and Labrador are held in the Service Newfoundland, Vital Statistics Division. You need their application form for these events; this can be obtained by writing or on their website:
Digital Government and Service Newfoundland and Labrador
Vital Statistics Division
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s, Newfoundland A1B 4J6
Divorce and Adoption[edit | edit source]
For Further Reading[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Murphy, Sharon L. "Newfoundland and Labrador Birth, Marriage, and Death Records (National Institute)," National Institute for Genealogical Studies (2012), https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Newfoundland_and_Labrador_Birth,_Marriage,_and_Death_Records_%28National_Institute%29.