Newent, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Newent, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Gloucestershire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Newent|
|Parish registers: 1672|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory) Post 1541- Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
NEWENT (Virgin Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Botloe , W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing the tythings of Boulsdon with Killcot, Compton, Cugley, and Malswick, 8½ miles (N. W.) from Gloucester, and 112 (W. N. W.) from London. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Newent, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|DEAN = Forest of Dean Family History Trust - free|
|Newent, Gloucestershire Genealogy Online Records|
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 389-393. Date accessed: 04 March 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 28 June 2016.
- 'Transcript Summary,' Forest of Dean Family History Trust, accessed 22 July 2016. The Forest of Dean Family History Trust's 'policy is not to show records within the following cut off years - Baptisms 90 years, Marriages 70 years, Burials 30 years.'