United States, New York Land Records - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can the records be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Chautauqua > Deeds 1846–1853 vol 41 images are available on Film 478723.
- Delaware > Mortgagor index 1858–1871 are available on Film 831870.
- Erie > Deed index-grantee 1929–1930 vol 15, A–L is missing K–L Grantee Indexes. Unfortunately, the indexes for K–L are Grantor instead of Grantee indexes and are not available on any microfilm. Grantor indexes for K–L are repeated in Erie > Deed index-grantor 1929–1930 vol 15, K–S.
- Essex > Mortgagee index 1799–1860 vol 1 is missing Pages 80–83 between images 46 and 47. The records are not available on microfilm.
- Jefferson > Deeds 1832 vol I2-K2 is missing Pages 395–404 between images 507 and 508. The records were re-filmed and are available on images 292–296.
- Livingston > Deeds 1863–1867 vol 68–69 contains an incorrect Danish film. View the records on Film 510068.
- Onondaga > Grantee index 1794–1870 vol 4 is missing pages 1544 and 1545 between images 370 and 371. The records are not available on microfilm.
- Orange > Deeds 1886 vol 343–344 contains Monroe County Marriage records, no. 7801–8400 1928–1929. Order Film 831562 to view the deed records.
- Schuyler County Index Books are not online. View the records on Film 83484.
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (waypoint) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. How can I determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer 2: The list of known waypoint discrepancies describes the event type or year range existing in the collection:
- Albany > Mortgagee index 1755–1829 contains both Mortgagor index 1630–1894 U–Z (starting on image 4) and Mortgagee index 1755–1829 (starting on image 273).
- All Counties > Deeds records all belong in Albany County.
Broome County Mortgages records are misplaced in the Tioga County browse path as follows:
- Mortgagee Index 1806–1869 vol 1–5
- Mortgagee Index 1870–1887 vol 6–7
- Mortgagee Index 1888–1895 vol 8
- Mortgages 1791–1806
- Mortgages 1806–1819 vol 1–2
- Mortgages 1818–1830 vol 3–4
- Mortgages 1830–1835 vol 5–6
- Mortgages 1835–1839 vol 7–8
- Mortgages 1839–1843 vol 9–10
- Mortgages 1843–1846 vol 11–12
- Mortgages 1846–1848 vol 13–14
- Mortgages 1851–1852 vol 17–18
- Mortgages 1852–1853 vol 19
- Mortgagor Index 1806–1869 vol 1–5
- Mortgagor Index 1870–1887 vol 6–7
- Mortgagor Index 1888–1895 vol 8
- Chautauqua > Deeds 1857 vol 78 includes Deeds 1883 vol 85 starting on image 243.
- Chautauqua > Deeds 1846–1853 vol 41 are from Wayne County.
Chemung County includes records for the counties of Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga and Tompkins. Some records include the correct county name in the waypoint. The other misplaced records are listed below:
- Grantee Index 1876–1883 Vol 1
- Grantee Index 1883–1910 Vol 2
- Grantee Index 1949–1965 A–K
- Grantee Index 1949–1965 L–Z
- Grantor Index 1876–1882 Vol 1
- Grantor Index 1882–1910 Vol 2
- Grantor Index 1910–1931 A–Z
- Grantor Index 1932–1948 A–K
- Grantor Index 1932–1948 L–Z
- Grantor Index 1949–1965 A–K
- Grantor Index 1949–1965 L–Z
- Deeds 1866–1867 vol 44–45
- Mortgages 1791–1831 Vol 1–2
- Mortgages 1830–1838 Vol 3–4
- Greene > Grantor index 1880–1890 C–L year span should read as 1800–1890.
- Genesee > Grantee index 1802–1912 A–G, Grantee index 1802–1912 H–R, and Grantee index 1802–1912 S–Z contain the Mortgage Index for Grantees (Mortgagees).
- Genesee > Grantor Index 1802–1912 A–G, Grantor Index 1802–1912 H–R, and Grantor Index 1802–1912 S–Z contain the Mortgage Index for Grantors (Mortgagors).
- Kings > Grantor index 1945–1949 C includes Grantor index 1683–1867 D1 starting on image 569.
- Kings > Conveyances 1975 vol 1206–1208 year span should be 1875.
- St. Lawrence > Deeds 1877 vol 105B–105C are located in Deeds 1867–1877 vol 105B–105C.
- Tompkins > Grantee Index (Ithaca) 1860–1913 H–Z is not consistently alphabetized. Images 250–361 are from Se–Z. Images 364–398 begin with St and include Sn–W.
- Ulster > Grantor Index A–Dqz 1685–1899 is found in Grantor Index 1685–1899 vol 1–4.
- Ulster > Grantee Index A–Dqz 1685–1899 is found in Grantee Index 1685–1899 vol 1–4.
Westchester County (Greenburgh) Grantor Indexes have been incorrectly labeled as Grantee Indexes, as listed below:
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898–1907 vol 1
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898–1931 A–C
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898–1931 D–R
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1898–1931 S–Z
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh)1908–1917 vol 2
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1941–1957 vol 5, A–L
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1941–1957 vol 5, M–Z
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1958–1966 vol 6, A–M
- Grantee Index (Greenburgh) 1958–1966 vol 6, N–Z
Question 3[edit | edit source]
Question #3: How can I view reversed or rotated images?
Answer 3: In lieu of ordering a film, the best option is to hold a mirror in front of the computer and read the reversed images from the mirror. If the images are rotated, use the rotate option in the Tools until the image is positioned correctly. Below is a list of known waypoint discrepancies and their respective film numbers, if available:
- Dutchess > Deeds 1836 Vol 59, Film 565049.
Question 4[edit | edit source]
Question #4: Where can the missing records from Oneida County be found?
Answer 4: Missing records for Oneida County are located in Herkimer County, including Deeds, Grantee Indexes and Grantor Indexes. The waypoints below are from Oneida County:
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 A–B
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 C–D
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 E–H
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 Ho–L
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 M–O
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 P–Si
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 Sm–V
- Grantee Index 1791–1884 W–Z
- Grantee Index 1885–1912 A–C
- Grantee Index 1885–1912 D–G
- Grantee Index 1885–1912 H–L
- Grantee Index 1885–1912 M–R
- Grantee Index 1885–1912 S–Z
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 A–B
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 C–F
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 G–I
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 J–K, M–Mi
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 Mo–P
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 Q–S
- Grantor Index 1791–1884 T–Z
- Grantor Index 1885–1912 A–C
- Grantor Index 1885–1912 D–G
- Grantor Index 1885–1912 H–L
- Grantor Index 1885–1912 M–R
- Grantor Index 1885–1912 S–Z
Two sets of Deed records in Herkimer County are intermixed:
- Oneida County Deed records begin with Deeds 1791–1795 Vol 1–2 and end with Deeds 1900–1901 Vol 560.
- Herkimer County Deed records begins with Deeds 1804–1807 Vol 1–2 and end with Deeds 1899–1902 Vol 171.
NOTE: Oneida County was created from Herkimer County in 1798. All records prior to 1798 are correctly located in Herkimer County.
- Go to the United States, New York Land Records - FamilySearch Historical Records wiki article
- Go to the United States, New York Land Records, 1630-1975 collection at FamilySearch.org