|The Netherlands Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The FamilySearch moderator for The Netherlands is Daniel Jones.
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning the Netherlands genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
North American Periodicals:
- Quarterly : Dutch Family Heritage Society 1987–. Published by the Dutch Family Heritage Society, 2463 Ledgewood Dr., West Jordan UT 84084–5738, USA. FHL book 973 D25df. This periodical focuses on Dutch people for all time periods and places.
- De Halve Maen 1925-. Published by the Holland Society of New York, 122 East 58th Street, New York NY 10022, USA. FHL book 974.7 B2h; some issues on FHL fiche 6050867–6050877.
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record 1870–. Published by the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York NY 10022–1939, USA. FHL book 974.7 B2n; some issues on 26 FHL films.
- Genealogie: Kwartaalblad van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie (Genealogy: Quarterly of the Central Office for Genealogy) 1995–. Published by the Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, Postbus 11755, 2502 AT ’s-Gravenhage, The Netherlands. FHL book 949.2 D25cm.
- Gens Nostra: Maandblad van de Nederlandsche Genealogische Vereeniging (Our Ancestry: Monthly Journal of the Netherlands Genealogical Society) 1945–. Published by the Nederlandse Genealogische Vereniging, Postbus 976, 1000 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands. FHL book 949.2 D25g.
- De Nederlandsche Leeuw: Maandblad van het Koninklijk Nederlandsch Genootschap voor Geslacht– en Wapenkunde (The Dutch Lion: Journal of the Royal Dutch Society for Genealogy and Heraldry) 1883–. Published by the Koninklijk Nederlands Genootschap voor Geslacht– en Wapenkunde, Postbus 85630, 2508 CH Den Haag, The Netherlands. FHL book 949.2 B2ned; some issues on 4 FHL films.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990). Partially indexes over 5,000 family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Netherlands periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Netherlands-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the Introduction to the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.