Nauvoo Illinois FamilySearch Center/Resources
|Nauvoo FamilySearch Center|
|1195 Knight Street|
|Mon: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm|
Tue: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
(call or e-mail the contact information shown above)
Classes & Handouts
Online Film Ordering
Hardware & Equipment[edit | edit source]
- 15 networked computer workstations with printer access
- Paper copier
- 2 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche reader
- 1 flatbed scanners
Class/Training Rooms[edit | edit source]
- Main room has 20 computer stations for hands-on use by class members plus a computer, projector and teaching station for the instructor.
- Second room has 10 computer stations for hands-on use by class members plus a computer, projector and teaching station for the instructor.
- Both classrooms have printer access for all stations.
Multimedia Center[edit | edit source]
Logan Family History Center has created an area where you can work with equipment consisting of a computer, scanner, printer and specialized software. With these resources you have the ability to:
- Scan photos and transfer them to a flash drive or to a DVD. You can also make printed copies.Use the software to edit, enhance, correct, add to, or delete unwanted material from a photo-graph. Spots, scratches, creases, faded colors and other defects can be easily corrected.
- Scan slides or negatives and print them on photo paper, or transfer them to your flash drive or DVD.
- Compose flyers, posters or other documents using the art and photo editing software.
- Create collages of photos and create photo albums. It is also possible to create different artistic effects on your photos such as borders, swirls, reflections and textures to name just a few. New photographs can also be "aged" by converting color photos to sepia, or black and white images.
- Convert your photo files from one format to another ie. tiff to jpeg or visa versa.
Don't worry if you are not sure how to do all of this, there are members of the Center staff who are trained in the use of this equipment, and they would be happy to help you!
Databases & Software[edit | edit source]
- Genealogy database software (Ancestral Quest, Family Insight, Family Tree Maker, Legacy, PAF, RootsMagic)
- Charting software (PAF Companion, Legacy Charting)
- Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software such as Word, WordPerfect and OpenOffice (on selected machines)
- Photo editing software (IrfanView, Adobe Photo Shop Elements, HP Photo Smart Essential, MGI Photo Suite, ACD Foto Slate and Canon Zoombrowser EX).
- Pedigree Resource File (complete on server)
- Free access to several subscription sites through the FamilySearch Portal such as Ancestry.com, British Newspapers, Find-My-Past (UK), Footnote, Genline (Swedish), Heritage Quest, World Vital Records and others.
- Free internet access to the New England Historical and Genealogical Society (NEHGS) website
- Research aids such as Animap and Parish Locator
- Research databases such as Acadian-Cajun Family Trees, Australian Vital Records and Mormon Immigration Index.
Training Resources[edit | edit source]
- American Ancestors - Online Seminars
- Ancestral Quest - Tutorials
- Ancestry.com - Learning Center
- BYU Center for Family History and Genealogy
- FamilySearch - Learning Center
- FamilySearch - Wiki
- Granite Genealogy - Training
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple and Family History Consultant Training - Starting place for Ward Temple and Family History Consultants and Priesthood Leaders.
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Youth Temple and Family History Consultant Training
- Legacy Family Tree - Training
- RootsMagic Learning Center