Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel from 1847 to 1868
This site is a database of Mormon pioneers who came to the Salt Lake Valley by wagon train or handcart from 1847 to 1868.
Internet Address[edit | edit source]
- Pioneer Overland Trail
- Go to the Web site mormontrail.lds.org
Content[edit | edit source]
- Alphabetical Company List
- Chronological Company List
- Departure date and place
- Arrival date in Salt Lake Valley
- Company Information
- Pioneer Information
- List of Sources, including full transcriptions of many original documents.
- Photographs of pioneers (when available)
Using the site[edit | edit source]
After accessing the Church History site, click on the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel link.
You can search the index for a specific person or you can browse the index based upon the company name either alphabetically or chronologically. The search results include the name of the individual and their age. In the company index, a person’s name and age will be given with information about their company and the captain.
Use the "Submit Information" button on the home page and on each pioneer page to notify the Church History Library of mistakes in the database or to give them additional information about your ancestors.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Search by surname only to obtain a list of every pioneer in the database with the same surname as your ancestor.
- Use the wildcard "*" to search for names with multiple spellings. For example, "Hans*n" will retrieve the surname of "Hansen" and "Hanson."
- If you don't find the ancestor using the name search, try doing a keyword search in the pioneer record type. (Click on "Switch to keyword search", select "Pioneers" as the record type, and then enter your name or keyword.)
- Click on the company name to see details about the company and the sources used to document the company.
- In the interest of accuracy, included in this website are the names of those mentioned in period documents such pioneer diaries, the company journal, an autobiography, letters written by one of the pioneers, or the individual’s obituary. Such documents must be explicitly clear that an individual was in a specific company or that they traveled at a particular time.