Missoula Montana Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Missoula Montana Family History Center, located in the mountain valley of Missoula, Montana, services all of Missoula County and shares this duty with the smaller FHC at Seeley Lake, Montana.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Local Links
Center Contacts and Hours[edit | edit source]
- 3201 Bancroft St Missoula Montana 59801-8641 United States
- The Center is located on the South side of the building off of Bancroft Street.
- Parking is available in front of the side entrance door.
- If the door is locked, there is a door bell on the right side of the door to alert the staff of your presence.
- 1-406-543-6148, during Open Hours
- Stake Family History Consultant (formerly known as, director): Daniel Bradshaw, 406-543-3945
- Tuesdays and Thursdays:10:00am-4:00pm and 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Wednesdays: daytime hours open by appointment only, please call to arrange
- Appointments available at other times when appropriate staffing can be arranged or for small groups: please call the directors above
- Note: from time to time in the winter, weather conditions may make travel unsafe for staff and so the Center may be closed unannounced during such times.
Holiday Schedule, Closed all major holidays:
--Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 26, 2020
--Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, December 24-25, 2020
--New Years's Eve, 31 December 2020
--New Year's Day, January, 2021
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Upcoming Events:[edit | edit source]
Class Schedule:[edit | edit source]
Staff Training Meetings:[edit | edit source]
Center Resources[edit | edit source]
Collections[edit | edit source]
We are in the process of cataloging our collection of books and periodicals to make their titles and content summaries searchable on a spreadsheet format. Once that stage is completed we plan to post a link from this wiki site to a free-to-use website that will show the titles and content summaries, making those elements searchable online. Some of the collection items seem to be unique to the Missoula Family History Center or at least not otherwise searchable online and so we believe their listing will be helpful to researchers. For example, some of the collection includes local, state or regional materials that are likely to be rare, but contain genealogical information. Please be patient while we are processing the collection as it is being done by volunteers as they have time available. Our permanent-loan collection of microfilm are cataloged by the Family History Library.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
- Maps: variety in chart style, atlases in general collection, excerpted specialized maps from the U.S. Census Index volumes, folded "Half-Inch Contoured Great Britain" (62 sections) collections, various state road maps (not necessarily current/up-to-date)
- Missoula City Directories: not exhaustive, earliest volume is 1945 and latest is 1986.
Databases and Software[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Approximately 800 microfilm and microfiche, including a variety of European and U.S. states sources. A catalog/index is in planning and assembling stages for a searchable online listing of the collections (see note above under Collections for details on the listing process).
- Small reference library, wide variety of volumes, mostly U.S. and European topics, catalog/index in planning and assembling stages for online listing (see note above under Collections for details on the listing process).
Hardware and Equipment[edit | edit source]
The Center has:[edit | edit source]
- 5 computers with internet, FamilySearch.org and Partner Premium Sites access
- a copier/scanner
- 2 film readers
- 2 microfiche readers
Center Services[edit | edit source]
Staff Research Specialties[edit | edit source]
The Missoula Family History Center has two microfilm readers and two microfiche reader devices available for anyone using microfilm rolls (35mm and 16mm film) or microfiche sheets for genealogical research. The readers are available during Center open hours and by appointment.
Resources in the Local Area[edit | edit source]
--We have approximately 800 films on permanent loan at the Missoula Family History Center. Come in and see. FamilySearch Catalog may also have some listings for specific microfilm available at the Missoula FHC.
--Missoula Public Library has genealogical research resources, such as local daily newspapers on microfilm, located at 301 E Main St, Missoula, MT 59802, phone: (406) 721-2665
Links[edit | edit source]
Local Links[edit | edit source]
Missoula is the name of both the county and the city, which is also the county seat, Missoula. The city is also know as the "5 Valleys" as it has five entrances that help form the large valley.
Missoula County[edit | edit source]
Missoula City[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Wiki for Missoula, Missoula County, Montana Genealogy
Montana[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch has materials about the local and state areas in its state page Montana
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
We are in need of volunteers to help staff the Center. See our hours on this site and call. A little computer knowledge is helpful. Training will be provided.