Minneapolis Minnesota Family History Center/Resources
Welcome to the Minneapolis Family History Center Resources page. Listed below are some of the resources available at the Minneapolis Family History Center. Helpful websites and other local resources are also included at the bottom of the page.
Collections at the Center
- Microfilm Collection: a collection of microfilms on a variety of subjects, including vital records, county records, court records, etc.
- Microfiche Collection: a collection of microfiche, assorted titles. Contain family histories, vital records, and other types of information.
- Book Collection: genealogy related books, maps, gazetteers, and atlases
- FamilySearch Catalog: -- Images of digitized films available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Premium Family History Websites
The Minneapolis Family History Center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
These genealogy programs can be used for free within the family history center:
- Ancestral Quest
- Family Insight
- And others
Hardware and Equipment
- 17 networked computer workstations
- 4 microfilm readers
- 2 microfilm/fiche digital scanners
- 2 networked printers (.05 cents per copy)
- 1 flatbed scanner
- 1 high speed photo scanner
- Internet Access
- Wireless Internet Access for Laptops
Local Minnesota Resources
Archives and Libraries
- Minnesota Historical Society and Archives - Link Is a source for many records from all over the state of Minnesota. Several classes are offered.
- Hennepin County Library - Link They have several databases that can be accessed through a library card. The Minneapolis Library also has a large historical collection. All branches have many resources of interest to researchers.
- Minnesota Genealogical Society - Link A society that specializes in Minnesota research. They also have their own library of research materials. They offer conferences, meetings and many classes throughout the year.
- Germanic Genealogy Society - Link A society that specializes in Germanic research. They offer conferences, meetings, and many classes throughout the year. They also house their library at Concordia Library in St. Paul, MN.
Helpful Websites (free access)
Click to see the schedule of FamilySearch Online Classes