Michigan, United States Genealogy
|Michigan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Michigan ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Michigan Information[edit | edit source]
Michigan became the twenty-sixth state admitted to the Union in January 26, 1837. Michigan was created from Michigan Territory and is located in the Midwestern region of the United States. There are 83 counties in the U.S. state of Michigan. The State capital is Lansing. 
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Michigan Research
Links to articles on getting started with Michigan research.
Michigan Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Michigan research.
Michigan Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties[edit | edit source]
- Grand Traverse
- Presque Isle
- St. Clair
- St. Joseph
- Van Buren
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Aishcum · Anamickee · Bleeker · Brown · Cheonoquet · Des Moines · Dubuque · Forest · Iowa · Isle Royal · Kanotin · Kautawaubet · Kaykakee · Keskkauko · Manitou · Meegisee · Michilimackinac · Mikenauk · Neewago · Notipekago · Okkuddo · Omeena · Shawano · Tonedagana · Unwattin · Wabassee · Washington · Wyandot
Michigan Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
- Detroit-Chicago Road
- Erie Canal
- Erie-Kalamazoo Railroad
- Fort Gratiot Road
- Lake Erie
- Lake Huron
- Lake Michigan
- Lake Superior
- Great Path
- Grand River Road
- Great Trail
- La Plaissance Bay Road
- Lake Shore Path
- Lake Trail
- Maumee-Jonesville Road
- Monroe Road
- Saginaw Road
- Sauk Trail
- Soo Locks
- Tennessee, Ohio and Great Lakes Trail
- Detroit-Vincennes Road
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Family History Center locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Cyndi's List - Michigan genealogy sites on the internet
- Michigan Genealogy Trails - collection of transcribed data for the state of Michigan
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Michigan
- Ancestorhunt.com - resources for Michigan genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Michigan
- Michigan Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
- Every Name Index
- Michigan State Government Documents: A Researcher’s Guide
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Michigan " in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 09/18/2016.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.