Meeker County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Meeker County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Meeker County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1856|
|Address||Meeker County Courthouse|
325 N Shibley Avenue
Litchfield, MN 55355
Meeker County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Books
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Bradley B. Meeker, an associate justice of the Minnesota Territorial Supreme Court from 1849 to 1853. The County is located in the central area of the state. 
Meeker County, Minnesota Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage, death,
divorce and court records from 1870, probate
records from 1858, school records, naturalization
records from 1884.
Court Recorder has land record. 
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
1856--Meeker County was created 23 February 1856 from Davis (Eliminated) County. County seat: Litchfield 
- For a brief history of how Meeker County was named, click here. Then select Meeker County.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Books[edit | edit source]
- Album of history and biography of Meeker County, Minnesota , Chicago : Alden, Ogle & Co., 1888. -- viii, 9-610 p. ports. Find a copy at Family History Library Film # 1000260 I. 3 or WorldCat. Contains sketches of cities and towns and biographies of old settlers and representative men and more.
- Illustrated album of biography of Meeker and McLeod counties, Minnesota Chicago : Alden, Ogle, 1888. 791 p. ports. Find a copy at Family History Library Film # 1421922 Item 2 or WorldCat.
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|MNGenWeb Archives||FamilySearch Places|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Lutheran[edit | edit source]
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Litchfield, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Land[edit | edit source]
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Meeker – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Meeker County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Places:Cities and Towns- How to Use FS Places
- 1874 Map of Litchfield, Meeker, Minnesota from the David Rumsey Map Collection.
Military[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Civil War service men from Freeborn County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Freeborn County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company D.
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Minnesota, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1872-1962 - Minnesota Naturalization Records and Indexes, 1872-1962 at FamilySearch — index
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Meeker County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1900-1934 Minnesota, Birth Index, 1900-1934 at MyHeritage($) — index
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2019 WEB: Minnesota, Marriages from the Minnesota Official Marriage System, 1850-2019 at Ancestry($) — index
- 1860 - 1949 Minnesota, County Marriages, 1860-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1976-2003 Minnesota, Marriages, 1976-2003 at MyHeritage($) — index
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Online Minnesota Death Records & Indexes
- 1904-2001 Minnesota, Death Index, 1904-2001 at MyHeritage($) — index
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Meeker County Historical Society
308 N Marshall Ave
Litchfield MN 55355-2112
Dassel Area Historical Society
901 1st St. N
Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
Social Science 141
Southwest Minnesota State University
1501 State Street
Marshall, MN 56258
Family History Centers
[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance, free access to center-only databases, and to premium genealogical websites.
FamilySearch Affiliate Libraries have access to most center-only databases, but may not always have full services normally provided by a family history center.
Local Centers and Libraries
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Meeker County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeker_County,_Minnesota accessed 13 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Meeker County, Minnesota. Page 362-370 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 362-365.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Meeker County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "NAME OF ARTICLE," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeker_County,_Minnesota, accessed 10 February 2020.