Manitoba Land and Property Records

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Manitoba Wiki Topics
Manitoba Flag.png
Beginning Research
Record Types
Manitoba Background
Cultural Groups
Local Research Resources

Online Records[edit | edit source]

History[edit | edit source]

Red River Settlement Land Records, 1811-1892[edit | edit source]

  • The Red River Colony (or Selkirk Settlement) was a colonization project set up in 1811 by Thomas Douglas, 5th Earl of Selkirk, on 300,000 square kilometres (120,000 sq mi) of land. This land was granted to him by the Hudson's Bay Company, which is referred to as the Selkirk Concession.[1]
  • The first survey divided the land into river lots along the Red River from Pembina to Lower Fort Gary and along the Assiniboine River from the junction of the Red River to Portage la Prairie.
  • These river lots were long narrow lots similar to those in Quebec. Each lot had 660 feet of river frontage and extended back from the river to a road called the “Two Mile Road.” It then extended a further two miles to the “Four Mile Road.” The latter land was also called hay grazing or hay privilege land. There was also a road that ran parallel to the river.
  • Settlers held their land by grant or sale from the Hudson’s Bay Company. Records of the transactions were made by the Hudson’s Bay Company or the Council of Assiniboia. [2]
  • Hudson's Bay Company Archives

Dominion Lands Act[edit | edit source]

Archives of Manitoba Land Records[edit | edit source]

Additional records, not available online, can be found at the Archives of Manitoba:

Archives Contact Information[edit | edit source]

Archives of Manitoba
130-200 Vaughan St.
Winnipeg, MB R3C 1T5
Telephone: 204-945-3971
Toll Free (Manitoba only): 1-800-617-3588

Research from a Distance[edit | edit source]

For those unable to visit the Archives in Winnipeg, there are several options for conducting research from a distance:

  • Borrow microfilm through inter-institutional loan, for records which have been microfilmed. See Microfilm Program for details.
  • Send your research questions by email or regular mail. Archives staff will provide information on our programs and services, and will do a very limited amount of research for clients, primarily to advise on relevant records held by the Archives. See Contact Us.
  • Consider hiring a professional researcher. See Researchers for Hire.
  • Obtain copies. The Archives can provide a limited number of copies of archival records. See Copy Services.

For Further Reading[edit | edit source]

The National Institute discusses land records in great detail in their articles:

References[edit | edit source]